1455XL ENGINE

/ 1455XL ENGINE #1  

Teleco

Tractor
IH 1455XL
Hi All,
A Friend of mine is fixing up a 1983 1455xl tractor, it was purchased with no engine cheaply but he got another engine cheap from a lorry breakers yard, so its out of a lorry and cant think of the name at present but suppose to be the same or very similar engine to original.
He's putting liners etc in it at present.
He going to fix it to a fairly high standard but Would the change of engine affect the value of tractor if he decided to sell it on later..

Thanks

Last edited:
   / 1455XL ENGINE #2  
The correct engine is the iH Neuss produced DT402" if it came out of a lorry I guess it would be a "Seddon Atkinson" who we're part of the International Harvester lorry group in Europe , as well as Daf from Holland.

Being a lorry it will have a different fuel pump setting and regulation as opposed to that fitted on a tractor.

As engine was missing I presume the turbo clutch is also missing asit fixes to engine flywheel??

Sounds like your friend could do with a service manual??

Last edited:
   / 1455XL ENGINE
The correct engine is the iH Neuss produced DT402" if it came out of a lorry I guess it would be a "Seddon Atkinson" who we're part of the International Harvester lorry group in Europe , as well as Daf from Holland.

Being a lorry it will have a different fuel pump setting and regulation as opposed to that fitted on a tractor.

As engine was missing I presume the turbo clutch is also missing asit fixes to engine flywheel??

Sounds like your friend could do with a service manual??

Hi Crush, yes your right its is out of a seddon atkinson lorry,
Is the seddon atkinson engine a more powerful engine or is it basically the same.

Anyway he has this engine now fitted in the tractor and has purchased a rebuild kit and already has the new liners in it,

He said he has the old engine out of the 1455 and got has the turbo clutch too but said the engine shaft was not good hence why he decided to do it this way...

/ 1455XL ENGINE #4  
It's basically the same engine, only difference will be governing and fuelling adjustments in fuel pump. From the lorry is it just turbo'ed or turbo'ed and after cooled???

/ 1455XL ENGINE
It's basically the same engine, only difference will be governing and fuelling adjustments in fuel pump. From the lorry is it just turbo'ed or turbo'ed and after cooled???

Thanks crush... so it would have the same horsepower etc and you think it will work out ok then, turbo clutch should fit ok too then,

how should he go about sorting out the governing and fuel adjustments on this

/ 1455XL ENGINE #6  
Turbo clutch is same as 1255 but filled with more oil.

He may have to fit the engine backplate from the tractor asit may be different to the lorry one!!

Fuel pump would have to be reset by a Bosch fuel agent, or fit pump from old engine!!.

/ 1455XL ENGINE
He will probably fit the fuel pump from the original engine... he will i assume still have 145hp with no loss in power???

Thanks

/ 1455XL ENGINE

Hi Cyrush , spoke to a guy today that said that the seddon atkinson engine was a more powerful engine than that of the 1455 , would be getting 20hp more but not sure whether thats true

/ 1455XL ENGINE #9  
As staed before. Any changes will be fuelling and governor settings, was Seddon fitted with an inter cooler??

/ 1455XL ENGINE
As staed before. Any changes will be fuelling and governor settings, was Seddon fitted with an inter cooler??

Yes cyrush, I think it was, as with the fueling and settings what would the maximum increase in HP he could expect with the seddon engine.