Buying Advice CaseIH

/ CaseIH #1  

Blksim

Silver Member
Hey folks. I'm not familar with Case tractors. Have had some haying equipment that worked out O.K. Was wondering if anyone would offer opinions on a 585 4wd. Good and bad. When was this tractor manufactured.
The one I'm looking at has 3500 hr. Thanks.

/ CaseIH #3  
I'm a big fan of those tractors. I don't find them around here very often but I have been keeping an eye out for a great low houred used unit. Have ran a couple my friends own and they have been great. Very reliable, comfortable and easy to use. My experience is only with 2wd units though.

/ CaseIH #4  
Very good tractors. At 3500 hours its barely used. You should get many more years out of it.

/ CaseIH #5  
there are a dozen or so on the market now, likely more, most 2wd, and many with 4-6000 hours showing. If the tractor was reasonably maintained, the engine is certainly going to last a long time, as will the frame. I'd worry about the front axle/differential and try to make sure the prior owner didn't hit the barn one too many times. This is a 25 year old tractor, need to verify cooling system condition, hoses, lot of stuff wears out in 25 years.

Case IH's smaller tractors were mostly rebadged Mitsubishis, fine tractors, and I own one. Then they had other factories make their medium tractors, while the top models were likely still built here.
But this tractor will allow you to make snarky remarks to your John Deere friends like "if it ain't red, leave it in the shed""...

/ CaseIH #6  
The Case/IH 85 series Utility tractors were the first produced after the CIH merger with combined engineering but they leaned heavily on previous IH tractors. The larger CIH tractors leaned to previous Case designs. Example the CIH 585 has a 206 cubic inch 4 cylinder, the IH 584 has a nearly identical engine. In short I feel it (CIH 585) is a improved, previous IH engine and powertrain with Case or nearly so sheet metal painted red. Nonetheless should be a dandy tractor, I looked at a 685 with FEL not long ago myself.

/ CaseIH
Thanks for the feedback guys. I have run mostly Kubota over the last 18 years but have been looking around for another (used) tractor. Saw this one and thought I would ask.

/ CaseIH #8  
i owned a small compact 245 21hp its was an 89 model owned it 17 years did plowing tilling dragged logs no major problems

/ CaseIH #9  
I beleive that CIH, or more correctly Case New Holland, or more correctly Fiat is a good company producing good products. It is becoming more common to buy from a dealership than a tractor brand. I have a MF dealer within 5 miles but I wouldn't buy a lugnut from them. Few parts in stock, poor mechanics, and little new equipment on the lot. The trend is also multistore dealerships. Jacobi, my CIH dealer, has 6 locations, Deer Country my JD dealer has 3 maybe more, Wright Implement my other JD has 2, Hody, Dye, and Read, my New holland dealer has 2 and Whayne Supply my Cat dealer has several, not to mention Kubota. One of the rules of retail business is: "All brings being equal, you will buy from who you like, all things not being equal you will still buy from who you like."