Tractor
    Farmall M

Default Farmall M Hydraulic problems

New to posting here. Not sure if I should post this in this forum or the hydraulic forum. Please let me know if it needs moved or would get better feedback there. I assume you should not double post on this site.

To give specifics:
    Farmall M 1951
    Live hydraulics with an IH pump
    Westendorf Jiffy loader
    Cross 2 spool valve. 30 gpm, open center, 4 way, 3 position, spring center, one float.
    Tank has been boiled
    fluid full
    Installed pressure gauge on pressure side

I have been having problems with system since I bought (4 years) tractor, but it almost unusable now. I can look in tank and see the fluid moving around and when I pull a spool valve it stops. So I know system is circulating oil. Loader will not work. Seem to work marginally better with bucket empty. Pressure never goes above
    150 psi, never lugs engine, 95% of the time it never moves no matter how long you hold valve. if you hold down valve loader goes down do to gravity, to go up it is a crap shoot. It will not lift bucket when it works past the hood of tractor.

What else can I check??
    I say pump bad??

I know there are plenty of new pump dealers out there. But a new one is a lot of buck (700+) when the tractor is only worth $1500 at most. Is a used one getting me any further ahead. Buying a different tractor can be a crap shoot also. I already have more money into the tractor than what it is worth and I know what I have.

Problem is, the tractor is worth nothing to me if hydraulics will not work.

Tractor
    Kubota L3400, Farmall H

Default Re: Farmall M Hydraulic problems

Quote Originally Posted by Olds25 View Post
    New to posting here. Not sure if I should post this in this forum or the hydraulic forum. Please let me know if it needs moved or would get better feedback there. I assume you should not double post on this site.

To give specifics:
    Farmall M 1951
    Live hydraulics with an IH pump
    Westendorf Jiffy loader
    Cross 2 spool valve. 30 gpm, open center, 4 way, 3 position, spring center, one float.
    Tank has been boiled
    fluid full
    Installed pressure gauge on pressure side

I have been having problems with system since I bought (4 years) tractor, but it almost unusable now. I can look in tank and see the fluid moving around and when I pull a spool valve it stops. So I know system is circulating oil. Loader will not work. Seem to work marginally better with bucket empty. Pressure never goes above
    150 psi, never lugs engine, 95% of the time it never moves no matter how long you hold valve. if you hold down valve loader goes down do to gravity, to go up it is a crap shoot. It will not lift bucket when it works past the hood of tractor.

What else can I check??
    I say pump bad??

I know there are plenty of new pump dealers out there. But a new one is a lot of buck (700+) when the tractor is only worth $1500 at most. Is a used one getting me any further ahead. Buying a different tractor can be a crap shoot also. I already have more money into the tractor than what it is worth and I know what I have.

Problem is, the tractor is worth nothing to me if hydraulics will not work.
    You might try posting over on YTMAG, they have a bunch of guys there that specialize in old farmalls.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Massey 180 Diesel

Default Re: Farmall M Hydraulic problems

Is this the pump that drives off the timing gears..?? Or between the timing gears, and distributor..?? Not familiar with them, other than seeing them on a few M's. Just wondering if it could be something as simple as something stuck in the by-pass valve, or just a weak spring..??