Case 885 Transmission Problem

/ Case 885 Transmission Problem #1  

jaynjules

Tractor
Case IH 885 New Holland 1920 AC D-14
I have Case IH 885 XL with high/low/reverse on one stick. The other stick is the 4 speed. The tractor recently started jumping out of reverse. It will back up fine for a short distance but then make a strange howling sound and jump out of gear. It seems to do it quicker when its under load as in back-blading snow. Could this be a fluid or linkage issue or do you think its something internal? If so . . .what? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

/ Case 885 Transmission Problem #2  
Definitely a linkage issue!!

If there is excess play in the external linkages it could be the cause of the issue or it may be the internal detent spring has broken meaning there is no pressure on the selector rail to keep,it in position once selected.

If you hold lever in reverse does it stay there o/k or does it appear to be pushing out??

Last edited:
   / Case 885 Transmission Problem
It wants to jump out of my hand.

/ Case 885 Transmission Problem #4  
Oh Dear !!!

That sounds like a bearing or something has failed, serious work needed, split of gearbox, axles off to remove diff and pinion shaft on which the reverse sliding gear slides

Do you have a service manual ??

I presume it is a Case IH machine (Red & Black) and not an IH machine (Red) ???

Yes it is a Case IH. I don't have a service manual. I can only assume that the cab will have to come off to split gearbox. If so, any guesstimate how many hours a dealer will have in the project because I think it's a little out of my league?

/ Case 885 Transmission Problem #6  
I would think with a cabbed tractor 24 to 30 hours work ???

If this would help your diagnosis any, the tractor seems to work better when its cold and the problem gets worse the longer I run it. While snowplowing my driveway (1/4 mile long) with the back blade, it will do fine pushing downhill but on the level under a load it will act up more often. Since it is winter do you think it would hurt to continue plowing gently or would I risk catastrophic damage? Because plowing my driveway is the tractors primary duty I would hate to lose it for the winter.

/ Case 885 Transmission Problem #8  
Continuing to run will probably cause more damage and amore expensive repair!!

OK above quote is worst scene senario!!

you could drain out the oil then remove The MC valve and 4wd drop box or cover-plate on bottom of tranny and see what you can see??

Drain oil into clean container, let it settle then drain off oil and see if there are any metal residues in bottom of container??