Comparison Can anyone identify model or year on this IH tractor?

/ Can anyone identify model or year on this IH tractor?
Thanks for all your investigative work. I'll have this thing home someday. At this point it's hard to say whether I'll smiling or sobbing. At the moment, I'm just nervous because I paid $5500 for a mystery that'll run and work I think. Rear tires and some hoses look original, so that's not so great. It'll be different than my loaderless 8N - that's for sure.

Blackberry came back to life and I've got two more images to share. One shows the dash. One shows the shifters. Seems to be a High-Low range shifter and a 1-4+R shifter.

dash.jpgshifters.jpg

/ Can anyone identify model or year on this IH tractor? #12  
Sorry everybody wrong ???

First photos i had my suspicions the "hydrosteer" steering ram was fitted to IH Bradford built tractors!!

Further photos confirm my suspicions !! It is probably a 444. Confirmed by the location of the serial no plate on the r/hand of the clutch housing!!

Model no and serial no are all there stamped into the plate!!!

A480003 is the " kind code" or tractor build and B000643 tells me it is an early model as serial range stars @ 501 . B means built in Great Britain

I don't have a listing of kind codes so am guessing at 444 but am fairly certain

On 2nd photo there is a decal near bottom front of bonnet!! What does it say??

Other models of this similar family would be 354, 374 & 384 !!

Do you have a service manual as i sell these in PDF format on CD or as a download??

The thing in the lower left is a decal for tractor dealer H. Farand & Fils Ltee in St. Clet, Quebec.

I did notice the similarity to a 444 earlier, but the owner said this tractor had quite a bit more HP (69!) than a 444 and didn't have any way to judge. The snow bucket on the front is 7 feet wide and the tractor with bucket is about 14.5 feet long. Owner claims tires aren't loaded and tractor/loader weighs 5.5 tons? Outside of rear-tire-to-rear-tire is about 6.5 feet.

I've bought the darn thing now and it doesn't come with manuals. One of my reasons for getting a solid identification is so that I *can* order manuals.

/ Can anyone identify model or year on this IH tractor? #14  
Is there anything on the engine that would indicate it's size or cubic inches?

I didn't see anything while i was there other than just below the cast-in firing order, a "3040912R4" - but maybe the first digit is a 5.

Is that unique enough? Or were there all sorts of engine sizes across all sorts of years derived from that?

I seem to have lost my reply, but I believe that the 444 assessment was pretty good because of this:

Yesterday's Tractors :: View topic - International Harvester 444 -Doncaster

...so a completely made in Doncaster tractor that was shipped to Canada complete rather than assembled in the U.S.

Also, saw notes saying that Doncaster 444 is distinct from the Louisville 444. In the U.S. the Doncaster 444 may be closest to 364.

So if I stick with this theory, I have to find the operator and service manuals for 444s that were completely built in Doncaster for export - other 444 manuals wouldn't apply.

/ Can anyone identify model or year on this IH tractor? #17  
Basically correct except the 444 was NEVER built in Doncaster!! All British build 444 were built in Bradford About 30 miles away !!!

For service manuals for this machine it is covered by 3 books, 1 is tractor less engine, 2nd is engine and 3rd is `fuel injection eqt and fuel system specifications I can supply all these as a download or on CD rom, send me a PM with your e mail mad dress for further details. I currently don't have an operators manual available !!

Yes the Bradford m/c differs in some details from a Louisville m/c.

Last edited:
   / Can anyone identify model or year on this IH tractor? #18  
The part no you quoted 3040 912R4 is the base no for the crankcase for a BD 154 engine as fitted in 444 and its family

Have your PM and will reply shortly!!

/ Can anyone identify model or year on this IH tractor? #19  
This is a 574 from the mid 70's. HP 68. It is fitted with a non IH cab.

/ Can anyone identify model or year on this IH tractor? #20  
Sorry everybody wrong ???

First photos i had my suspicions the "hydrosteer" steering ram was fitted to IH Bradford built tractors!!

Further photos confirm my suspicions !! It is probably a 444. Confirmed by the location of the serial no plate on the r/hand of the clutch housing!!

Model no and serial no are all there stamped into the plate!!!

A480003 is the " kind code" or tractor build and B000643 tells me it is an early model as serial range stars @ 501 . B means built in Great Britain

I don't have a listing of kind codes so am guessing at 444 but am fairly certain

On 2nd photo there is a decal near bottom front of bonnet!! What does it say??

Other models of this similar family would be 354, 374 & 384 !!

Do you have a service manual as i sell these in PDF format on CD or as a download??

I agree it is not a 674. Shifters TOTALLY incorrect. Not sure if the 374 and 384 had shifters on top of tranny, or at operator's hip. Grille is wrong but shifter is right for a 444.