Comparison Can anyone identify model or year on this IH tractor?

/ Can anyone identify model or year on this IH tractor? #1  

jmc03307

Tractor
Ford 8N
tractor-2.jpgtractor-1.jpg

Owner mentioned 1974 and 69 HP.

/ Can anyone identify model or year on this IH tractor? #2  
My best guess would be a IH 674. Very common tractor in my area but I don't see them with a cab much. The year would be correct, but the HP is a little high. Go to Tractordata.com and see what you think.

/ Can anyone identify model or year on this IH tractor? #3  
Check out tractordata.com. Look for some numbers - like 686. Case and IH combined in 1985 so you want to look for just IH tractors only. You can sort the list by year, power or model number.

/ Can anyone identify model or year on this IH tractor?
That could be it.

I'll be getting a closer look this week I think and get some stuff off the tag (which the current owner said is on the right-hand side when facing forward - that location would be a mismatch for a 674 if tractordata is correct).

The cab is home-made.

Also: the image seems to show a power steering hydraulic cylinder on the left hand side that goes back towards the rear axle. I didn't find google images that fit such a scenario though. Maybe that's not what it is. Or maybe this is a mutt of some sort.

Thanks,
Jerry

Thanks for your help.

/ Can anyone identify model or year on this IH tractor? #5  
Could be a no of models?? Need some more photo's please of engine and area in front of seat and of gearbox lid??

Here's the serial number tag. Actually, no serial number, just a long model number. No clue if that's the norm or not. Also, this tractor has a decal on it indicating that it was sold by a company in the Province of Quebec.

serial.jpg

I hope the patron saint of the ignorant was looking over my shoulder, because I bought this tractor even though I don't even know what it is and I still need to figure out how to get it home.

Attachments

• serial-number.JPG
    serial-number.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:
   / Can anyone identify model or year on this IH tractor? #7  
I like research, no really I do. I'm still sticking to my idea of a 574/674 unless it is a odd Canadian model. I looked at Tractorhouse at ten tractors listed as 684's, as the serial # tag would lead one but none looked like your tractors body style or the years you indicated. The 574/674 listed by Tractorhouse were very similar to yours and the years would be correct. I'm doubtful it is a Case/IH post 1985 tractor. It would not have a "IH" in the grill or "international harvester of Great Britian" on the ID tag.

Engine casting number is 3040912R4 but maybe the first digit is a 5.

That serial number plate was on the right hand side of the tractor. Clutch housing I think. I thought the 3 point hitch was Cat II, but now I'm not so sure. The implement end is Cat II, but the other end, where it attaches to the bottom/back of the tractor appears to be Cat I.

RE: Research

I've been poking around on the web, googling around, and haven't matched anything up either.

/ Can anyone identify model or year on this IH tractor? #9  
looks bigger than a 674 to me. I am thinking a 724, there were a lot of them in Quebec. Not a popular model overall hence parts are now scarce and they sell for less than other IH models from that era.

/ Can anyone identify model or year on this IH tractor? #10  
You can scratch my 724 guess as the ID tag on yours says Great Britain and the 724 was manufactured in Germany. Maybe its a 674 after all and its the cab that makes it appear larger .