Odd ball 706 story (not a question)

/ Odd ball 706 story (not a question) #1  

3v0

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200
Back when the 06's were new they had a doing to show off the tractors in a farmers field. Dad purchased the 706 they were using.

The 706 pulled great but was easy to overheat. We put a loader on it and purchased an 806 the next year. Some years latter we tried to replace the fan belt on the 706. The stock belt did not fit. To make a long story short IH had equipped their demonstrator with a larger motor then the stock units.

/ Odd ball 706 story (not a question) #2  
That cool! Never have had a problem with my 706 over heating! Or did it over heat because it had a turned up engine?

/ Odd ball 706 story (not a question)
That cool! Never have had a problem with my 706 over heating! Or did it over heat because it had a turned up engine?
They went past tuning the engine, the used a larger on with more HP. Too much for the stock radiator to handle.

/ Odd ball 706 story (not a question) #4  
Do you still have it?

When my father passed away all the equipment was sold at auction. The farm is still in the family but it is rented out.

We farmed with an 806 and the 706 for years. We got a new 1486 and an IH 4WD's without articulation, maybe a 4166. I lost track of what they bought after that.
4166_1.jpg
The 06's were very dependable tractors. The only problems I recall was replacing worn out injector lines and pumps. The TA when out on one of them at some point. They did not spend much time in the dealership repair shop. I was not around much for the others as they were purchased because without slave labor to do seat time...

My cousin still farms in the area. I paid him a visit last summer and he had a new QuadraTrack. I took a few turns around the yard with it. :)
rowtrac_right_promo.jpg

Last edited:
   / Odd ball 706 story (not a question) #6  
IH always ripped off the farmers with the oversized engine thingy in demo tractors! I now own 2 ,--560 tractors with 706 engines in them, a 706 with 806 engine,--these are all gas power tractors and had been sent out as demo units! thanks; sonny580

Special demo units was not limited to IH. Dad had a 63 1/2 galaxy 500 XL, not exactly a tractor, which was a demonstrator. It was a 2dr hard top built on a convertible frame with a stock looking hot rod factory engine. When the 64's came out the factory tracked the car down and demoed it at a ford show. I was only a pip squeek back then but I recall hearing they clocked the car at something over 120mph on the state fair ground oval.

/ Odd ball 706 story (not a question) #8  
I know a neighbor who owns a 796 with the 806 diesel in it but his dad ordered it tht way from the factory. I dont know who but nice tractor

I could not find anything on a 796 so I am guessing that is a typo. The 06's were nice tractors.

When the auctioned off dad's equipment I sort of wanted to get one of the tractors but had no use for them and was not about to give up my shop space to house them.

/ Odd ball 706 story (not a question) #10  
Yea sorry meant 706. Yea i know where one of my grandpas tractors that he bought new is at and the old guy wont sell it to me he thinks he needs it. We have pretty much 2 buildings devoted to our old equipment