I need to positively identify my tractor!

/ I need to positively identify my tractor! #1  

PierreR

Tractor
IHC 3414
Hello everyone!

I originally posted this on the construction equipment board, but I was recommended to post here also, where the IH experts are. Hope someone can help me.

I bought an old International tractor last year. It runs well, but the brakes need repair, most gages don't work, and there's an oil leak from the steering column. Ok, OK,... it runs not so well! ...and yes I know that the rear tires are backward! I will swap them.

Before I buy the machine manuals to start repairs, I need to make sure what model it is. I couldn't find any indication about the tractor model, except that it is a IH tractor. Only on the backhoe can I see the "international 3130" mention. From various comments made by other people, I can guess that it's a IH 3414, but from pictures I could find, I didn't see an identical tractor. I also found a serial number on the engine block that reads 3040912R4

I post a couple pictures to this post in hopes someone can confirm that I indeed have an IH 3414 tractor. If someone could give me the year of the tractor that would be fantastic!

Thanks in advance

PierreR

IMG_0080.jpgIMG_4251.jpg

/ I need to positively identify my tractor! #2  
The serial no you quote is not a serial no !!!

It is the part no of the crankcase casting of a BD 154 engine which would be fitted in a 3414 loader/backhoe as pictured.

/ I need to positively identify my tractor! #3  
I think you have it as it is a BD 154 engine from the looks of it.

/ I need to positively identify my tractor! #4  
Looks nearly identical to my IH 3414, minus the cab. They were built in Great Britain as part of International's industrial line. Engines available were a BD154 diesel and a BC144 gas, which mine has. I was told they were built from about 1959 to 1965. Mine is a 1963. Tough old machine. I heard the engines were made by Perkins, which last forever with a little loving care......Dan.

/ I need to positively identify my tractor!
Thank you gentlemen !

I think I can confidently take it that I have a 3414 ! I just ordered the service manual for the 3130 backhoe and the service manual for the 3414 tractor from Jensales.

I`ll start working on it when the snow melts!

PierreR

And I should say I`ve got the diesel engine on my tractor. It runs really well and smooth.
No visible smoke from the exhaust even at high RPM. Only a little blue-gray smoke when it`s working hard.
Hope this is a good sign.

/ I need to positively identify my tractor! #7  
Good machine! :thumbsup:
I love old tractors, they look so tough and reliable.
But check oil level before each cold start and listen to the noises of an engine for the first 50 hours to have a vision of engine condition. So did I.

Thanks for the advice!

I always check oil before starting up (an old habit since I owned an "experienced" Ford Pinto many years ago...). I also watch engine noise for early signs. However, I never owned a diesel engine before, so I'm not quite sure about what noise to watch for.
One question: when I checked the oil shortly after I bought it, I saw that it is very black and opaque. I changed it because I thought it was too old, but it became very black again after only 10h of use. Is that normal or does that mean I have an engine problem?

Thanks again for your help!

PierreR

/ I need to positively identify my tractor! #9  
Thanks for the advice!

I always check oil before starting up (an old habit since I owned an "experienced" Ford Pinto many years ago...). I also watch engine noise for early signs. However, I never owned a diesel engine before, so I'm not quite sure about what noise to watch for.
One question: when I checked the oil shortly after I bought it, I saw that it is very black and opaque. I changed it because I thought it was too old, but it became very black again after only 10h of use. Is that normal or does that mean I have an engine problem?

Thanks again for your help!

PierreR

The oil condition that you described is not normal as far as I know. It could be an indication of a couple of things...prior owner was negligent in changing oil and a couple more changes are in order, rings are getting tired, valve issues. Hopefully a couple of oil changes will be helpful. May want to consider synthetic oil eventually.

/ I need to positively identify my tractor! #10  
If the engine oil is getting as dirty as you say and bearing in mind we do not know the tractor history , it might be useful to try one of the industry flushing oils through it to clean it up or even dilute oil with 50% diesel and run on that for a couple of hours (no hard work) the diesel flush can work wonders at cleaning up an old dirty engine !!