case ih farmall 55a

/ case ih farmall 55a
So, how well did the shuttle work? Did the main shifter work good? Can you shift it on the move? How big are the rolls you put up?
LOL!!!! Sorry for so many questions!
Anything you didn't like?

/ case ih farmall 55a #12  
I didn't try to shift on the fly. I didn't want to grind any gears when someone was watching me. The shuttle had a little catch going to the forward postition, but I only noticed it on the first time I used it. But the only left hand shuttle I am used to is a 10 yr old case back hoe and that thing is fairly loose so it wasn't any comparison. I liked the main shifter and the pattern. Was not hard to figure out which gear it was it without looking at it.

Our bales come out of a 5x6 case baler that was bought new last summer. We try to keep the bales 5x5 though so they stack more evenly in the barn. We figure the bales weigh about 1400 fresh in the field.

Don't worry about the questions. I've had a lot of questions through out this process as well. The only thing I didn't like about the tractor was the fact that I couldn't take it home with me today. They picked it up from the lease yesterday at 3 so they haven't had time to go through it, service it, and mount the loader. Oh well. It would be easier to have it delivered anyhow.

/ case ih farmall 55a
That sounds great! Now you have me wanting to go test drive one. Did you notice any whine in the transmission? Thank you all for any input and comments!
Mbmrang,
If you don't care look at the post I wrote about how the block is bored and let me know what you think.

/ case ih farmall 55a #14  
Regarding the cylinders, I am not going to speak to whether I think it is a good thing or bad thing. One of the main reasons I am purchasing new (or **** neared new) is I expect to either wear the rest of the tractor out or trade up to a bigger one before I would have to worry about rebuilding the engine. But, in my opinion, the JD uses wet sleeve because they expect it to be rebuilt. (Just kidding, I don't want to bash any brand here) Actually, every motor has it's advantages and I really like the motor Case uses.

/ case ih farmall 55a
Ok. Can you tell me what you like about this motor Case uses over others? Did you notice any whine in the transmission when you drove it yesterday?

/ case ih farmall 55a #16  
Well, I can say what I really like about the motor is that as of either this Friday or Monday it will be my motor. I still have to sign the paperwork but they should be able to get the second remote installed and delivered in a few days. I'll be starting a thread about it soon. I can't wait till it gets here!!

/ case ih farmall 55a
Congratulations!
Do you have any specifics on the motor as far as likes or dislikes?

/ case ih farmall 55a #18  
I bought a 55a last April and have put 430hrs on it since. These are great tractors, easy on fuel, quiet, and comfortable. It will handle 4.5 x 5 dry bales with no real problem but we do some silage bales and as long as you don't mind the rear tires coming off the ground once in awhile it handles them as well. The rear tires are loaded but I do not have wheel weights. Which would likely make it much more stable when moving the silage bales. I do find there is a whine in the trans but its not bad. ( straight cut gears). You can shift on the fly in high range without grinding gears, it just takes a little fineness. I'm extremely happy with this tractor and would recommend it to anyone looking for this size of tractor

/ case ih farmall 55a
Thanks so much for the post! How well do you think it would do with lifting dry, 5 x 6, grass hay? I really appreciate the post.

/ case ih farmall 55a #20  
I think it will do ok. I'd just make sure that you have enough ballast on the rear to compensate for the weight on the loader. I only have the tires loaded at this point but have priced the wheel weights and IMO they are over priced for what you get. For now I carry a bale around on the three point hitch when I'm gathering hay in the fields and for most of the winter for feeding there is a winch mounted on the tractor which is enough to keep the rear tires on the ground.