Case IH 885 Front Wheel Problems

/ Case IH 885 Front Wheel Problems #1  

jaynjules

Tractor
Case IH 885 New Holland 1920 AC D-14
I have a Case IH 885 XL 4x4. It started making a sharp snapping noise inside the left front hub. It does it all the time in 4x4 but only when you turn the wheels sharp does it make the sound in 2wd. Is this something inside the hub or could it be a bad universal joint? It sounds terrible. How can I know for sure whether it's the u-joint or in the hub?

/ Case IH 885 Front Wheel Problems #2  
Hi again!! We spoke once before!!
The Noise from the front axlr may be a uj breaking up or the hub bearings collapsing.

I dont know which axle you have on this machine but i presume it is a ZF axle!!! There should be an alloy designation plate on the axle with some numbers stamped into it !!

Do you have a service manual?? This has a section on the overhaul of the axle.

/ Case IH 885 Front Wheel Problems
No I don't have a service manual. But I do have a ZF axle. It's type APL 330 7600. I greased the front U-joint, spun the tire, greased it again and it still made the snapping inside the hub in 4wd while moving straight forward.

/ Case IH 885 Front Wheel Problems #4  
Its most probably a worn U/J joint the cracking sound occurs as needle rollers skate over wear ridges in the cross piece cups. Best repaired before it fails as resulting damage usually adds up to a pain in the wallet $$$.

Send me a PM with your e mail so i can send you a document on the service manual.

I hope you are right .... again. Your last diagnosis was correct on my reverse gear jumping out. It was a worn reverse gear, a worn idler,and a worn low range gear. Mechanic friend thinks it must have had bad linkage adjustment since it was new. All three gears had about one fourth of surface edge worn off. Along with that i replaced brake lining and o - ring. thought i was good to go. I hope it is a u-joint because wife thinks my hobby is getting a little expensive. thank you

/ Case IH 885 Front Wheel Problems #6  
You think it's expensive now, keep running it making that noise. It's not hard to spend a couple thousand dollars on one planetary.

Once I get the tie-rod and king-pins apart, I assume the axle will just pull out of the housing with the hub ? Any tips for king-pin removal ?

Once i remove tie-rod and king-pins , will the axle just pull out? Any tips for king-pin removal ?

I got hub off. Worst case scenerio..... everything from u-joint to ring gear will need replaced except housings. One sun gear bearing seemed tight, maybe that started the destruction. I'm guessing 1500 in parts, any thoughts.

/ Case IH 885 Front Wheel Problems #10  
Ouch!!!
Thats the problem with failures in the reduction hubs, least bit of damage totals the unit, all those parts whizzing round all lubed by a couple of litres of oil.

That is why oil changes at the recommended period or sooner is important!!