Help with distributer filling up with black metal powder

/ Help with distributer filling up with black metal powder #1  

Birch Hill Farm

Bronze Member
Tractor
International 444
Im having a problem with the distributor on out international 444. After I run it an hour the points and whole visible interior of the distributor is full of black metal powder. Its as fine as talcum powder and is the color of graphite and is able to be picked up with a magnet. I can clean everything up and in about an hour of running its back and fouls everything up untill the tractor dies. What all is in there that can grind into powder? are there any bearings? Im getting ready to tear into it just wanting some ideas on what the problem is. Please help have about 5 acres of hay down I need to get up and Im afraid to run it any longer or something might wear in two.

/ Help with distributer filling up with black metal powder
Ok, got it apart as much as I could. The meatl plate that the points mount to, the back side of it is deeply grooved. This must be were my metal dust is coming from, the question is why. There are two cam things on either side of the center shaft that ride on pins and have springs, one is missing a spring could this be my problem?

The first picture is as far apart as I could take the distributor apart, is there anything under this? The 2 cam things were on top of this

The next picture shows the grooved and worn plate that the points mount to, right next to the 2 cam thingys that I have no clue what they do.

/ Help with distributer filling up with black metal powder #3  
I'm not familiar with your tractor, but in general a distributor shaft rides on a bearing or bushing just under the contact breaker plate, and one down the shaft close to the drive gear.. The dust being magnetic would indicate that perhaps the distributor bearing or bushing is seized and spinning in the housing producing this dust. Time to pull the distributor and inspect carefully. You need to get this fixed ASAP.

/ Help with distributer filling up with black metal powder #4  
I'm not familiar with your tractor, but in general a distributor shaft rides on a bearing or bushing just under the contact breaker plate, and one down the shaft close to the drive gear.. The dust being magnetic would indicate that perhaps the distributor bearing or bushing is seized and spinning in the housing producing this dust. Time to pull the distributor and inspect carefully. You need to get this fixed ASAP.

Disregard the above. The mechanism is a centrifugal advance mechanism that advances the spark as engine speed increases. It's come apart and should be replaced in its entirety. Perhaps you can find a used distributor?

Thanks! I recently replaced the points and condensor with an electronic module that uses a magnet on the center shaft. Do I still need the spark advance with this system?

I found the schematic in the manual

So, these parts advance the timing but, do I still need them since i have this? click on for link Ignitor

/ Help with distributer filling up with black metal powder #7  
I think so otherwise your timing is the same all the time when it was designed to advance when the RPMs get higher.

That makes sense, the only thing throwing me off is the fact that this uses 4 magnets in the center rotating portion so in some reasoning it seems advancing the timing would make no difference. The more I read about it, the more it sounds like I need the advance.