IH 384 (UK/Canada 444) - brakes, cross shaft

/ IH 384 (UK/Canada 444) - brakes, cross shaft #1  

jmc03307

Tractor
Ford 8N
I'm having trouble using the left brake independently on this tractor. (I do have the brake pedal locking latch flipped up and out of the way!)

Looking from underneath, the left brake pedal can only travel a little way before the bit that is on the rightmost end of the cross shaft seems to lock into a detent with the right brake's piece on the cross shaft, all near the parking brake assembly. i could really use the ability to sharply spin the tractor left sometimes. Any ideas?

I've been staring at a PDF of the service manual but have had no break-throughs.

This tractor is relatively new to me.

Right hand side of the cross-shaft looking at the rear of the tractor. The indent, notch, whatever is near the shiny grease fitting on the left.
Loudon-20130602-00078.jpg

Thank you.

/ IH 384 (UK/Canada 444) - brakes, cross shaft #2  
Looks to me your parking brake is about adjusted to the max. There should be an adjuster on each separate brake. Maybe try backing off the parking brake adjustment, then adjust up each wheel brake, then try it. It may allow a little more pedal travel, or quicker brake response.

The parking brake adjusted that far, in my mind..., tells me the brakes are worn, or... explains where the oil coating the underneath is coming from. Seals out of the bull pinion shaft the brakes are on.

/ IH 384 (UK/Canada 444) - brakes, cross shaft
Thank you very much - I'll take another look with that in mind.

/ IH 384 (UK/Canada 444) - brakes, cross shaft
Finally got around to ordering replacement discs and replacing them. It wouldn't be too bad a job under normal circumstances, but between the years and the custom cab, it took a long time. The old discs were worn, but still serviceable for a little while longer I think.

My main problem that prevented the left brake from working independently was that the left-piece on the cross shaft as you look to the rear (as in the picture I posted originally) was that the piece didn't rotate at all on the cross shaft, but rotated with the cross shaft. I even replaced the dry, dusty grease fitting without thinking about how that piece (which goes to the parking brake linkage) should move. Eventually the light bulb blinked on and I got to work on that. Lots of PB Blaster, hammers, crowbars and dynamite, but eventually I got it to budge. A lifetime of effort after that, it was moving freely.

Oh well - a used tractor from the 70's is going to have a few things that need attention.

Thanks,
Jerry

/ IH 384 (UK/Canada 444) - brakes, cross shaft #5  
Yeah, one of those fittings that get overlooked when doing a service. With doing what you did, ought to be a reminder to give it a shot of grease whenever you do the service on it.

Glad you got it fixed..!!