Drip from fuel tank on C/IH 574

/ Drip from fuel tank on C/IH 574 #1  

Avondale

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti DK35 and Kioti NX6010
I have found a small drip on the back of the left edge of my fuel tank. It is the saddle type tank with a flange bolted to the fenders and it appears to have a gasket fitted in between the flange and the fender. I have down-loaded the parts diagram from Messicks, (very helpful). The service manual does not discuss this. Has anyone taken a tank off of this type of tractor before? Any insight regarding hints, tricks, what to watch out for would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for whatever help is provided.

/ Drip from fuel tank on C/IH 574 #2  
A drip from that area usually means the tank is corrodedon the end panel against the fender, it is a moisture trap area, and we know steel loves moisture??.

Remove the tank and carry out repairs, a welded repair is best. Whilst the tank is off it should be cleaned out, then washed out with something like PQR marine clean, you may need to get a pressure washer lance inside or a steam vcleaner to get it really clean and get rid of the crud !!

Then treat with PQR metal treatment to remove internal rust, clean and dry off then apply a coating of PQR tank preserverto the inside, once this sets it will seal up any small rust prforations and the tank will be like new!!

Its a shity job but is the only wat to stop rusting of a steel tank!!

/ Drip from fuel tank on C/IH 574
Thank You. I now have the tank off and I am sending it out to a local shop for re-furb. Found a real mess on the end panels, also many wires and hose/tubes in dis-repair. I am sure the previous owners did what was needed to get/keep it running. I do not intend on making this a show piece so will fix what I can, when I can.