Tractor
    Kioti DK 35; IH 574, Ranger 700 XP, Arctic Cat 500 TRV, Arctic Cat 400 FIS, Kawasaki 250 Bayou, Yamaha 200 BW.

Default Drip from fuel tank on C/IH 574

I have found a small drip on the back of the left edge of my fuel tank. It is the saddle type tank with a flange bolted to the fenders and it appears to have a gasket fitted in between the flange and the fender. I have down-loaded the parts diagram from Messicks, (very helpful). The service manual does not discuss this. Has anyone taken a tank off of this type of tractor before? Any insight regarding hints, tricks, what to watch out for would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for whatever help is provided.
    "Life is tough. It's tougher when you are stupid". John Wayne

Silver Member

Default Re: Drip from fuel tank on C/IH 574

A drip from that area usually means the tank is corrodedon the end panel against the fender, it is a moisture trap area, and we know steel loves moisture??.

Remove the tank and carry out repairs, a welded repair is best. Whilst the tank is off it should be cleaned out, then washed out with something like PQR marine clean, you may need to get a pressure washer lance inside or a steam vcleaner to get it really clean and get rid of the crud !!

Then treat with PQR metal treatment to remove internal rust, clean and dry off then apply a coating of PQR tank preserverto the inside, once this sets it will seal up any small rust prforations and the tank will be like new!!

Its a shity job but is the only wat to stop rusting of a steel tank!!

Tractor
    Kioti DK 35; IH 574, Ranger 700 XP, Arctic Cat 500 TRV, Arctic Cat 400 FIS, Kawasaki 250 Bayou, Yamaha 200 BW.

Default Re: Drip from fuel tank on C/IH 574

Thank You. I now have the tank off and I am sending it out to a local shop for re-furb. Found a real mess on the end panels, also many wires and hose/tubes in dis-repair. I am sure the previous owners did what was needed to get/keep it running. I do not intend on making this a show piece so will fix what I can, when I can.
    "Life is tough. It's tougher when you are stupid". John Wayne