444 pto And hydraulic issue

/ 444 pto And hydraulic issue #1  

oldskool

Tractor
international 444
So here's the scoop. 69' or 70' fish (serial number plate is missing) 444 gas burner, 1501 fel . Have hydraulic fluid passing to crank case pulled pump getting new seal hope that fixes the problem there. Mostly concerned with PTO can't seem to engage it unless rpm is way low even have to kill tractor sometimes and restart with it engaged attempted clutch pedal adjustment today hope that helps. But even so the PTO will jump out of gear particularly when I have digger on it. What could be the cause and how to fix ? Have shop manual and owners manual. I have been searching all over for a thread or something on this. I have hydraulic system drained and pump off to replace seal hoping to fix both issues at the same time. Can someone help ? All input is appreciated.

/ 444 pto And hydraulic issue #2  
That tractor uses a two stage clutch, the first or top two thirds deals with the transmission. The bottom third works the PTO. It could be out of adjustment or it might be bad.

/ 444 pto And hydraulic issue
That tractor uses a two stage clutch, the first or top two thirds deals with the transmission. The bottom third works the PTO. It could be out of adjustment or it might be bad.
Yeah I'm thinking its probably bad just have to get the pump back on it and fire it up and see if the adjustment did the trick. I guess I'm just hoping for an easier fix. You know how it is just hoping not to tear into the tractor

/ 444 pto And hydraulic issue #4  
I have never heard of a 2 stage clutch that uses 2/3 of the clutch for Trans and the rest for the pto.
I have a 424 that is the same clutch system. It uses a dual disc system One disc for the transmission, and the other for the PTO. The pedal will disengage the transmission when depressed, then the PTO when fully depressed.
Make sure you adjust the pedal properly. The Clutch assembly's are expensive about 800 bucks for the plate, bearing and 2 discs.

I have never heard of a 2 stage clutch that uses 2/3 of the clutch for Trans and the rest for the pto.
I have a 424 that is the same clutch system. It uses a dual disc system One disc for the transmission, and the other for the PTO. The pedal will disengage the transmission when depressed, then the PTO when fully depressed.
Make sure you adjust the pedal properly. The Clutch assembly's are expensive about 800 bucks for the plate, bearing and 2 discs.

Well I fixed the hydraulic issue with a new seal on the pump and I tried the clutch adjustment I made and the PTO still stays live so now on to the clutch itself. I have a service manual but if you know what its all about I'll listen. :)

See my reply below

/ 444 pto And hydraulic issue #7  
On an off-hand chance, remove the clutch cover and look at the bolts holding the clutch assymbly to the flywheel. Look for a broken bolt or possibly a bolt that loosened and backed out.

If you find a broken bolt, not just any bolt will replace it. Use factory replacerment bolt.

Would that cause the PTO yo stay "live" ? It also jumps out if there is a load put on it (shredder,digger ) I have read the manual but there really isn't "trouble shooting" outlined for this. I believe that the PTO is a continuous running with a dual stage clutch

/ 444 pto And hydraulic issue #9  
I am not certain about whether pto would stay running or not. I went to stop with my IH 444 and initially just depressed clutch halfway and nothing happened. The tractor continued forward until I stomped on clutch pedal. I checked the pedal adjustment and all was fine. I was told to check for a broken bolt by a tractor mechanic and he was correct. One bolt had sheared the head off. I found the bolthead when I removed the cover.

Surprisingly, I was able to grasp the remaining bolt shank with vise grips and back it out. The length and grade/ thread have to be exact, so use a factory replacement bolt. Mine cost $2 or so. An expensive bolt, but cheap repair.

Thanks I'll let ya know how that works and anything else I figure out along the way.