Case IH 234 front PTO electric clutch troubleshooting

/ Case IH 234 front PTO electric clutch troubleshooting #1  

Jim Richardson

Tractor
Kubota B2100 HSD, Kubota B2910 HST, Husqvarna 48" lawn tractor
Hi all. I am a newbie to tractors, a newbie to farming, and hoping for some guidance from some more experienced than myself.

I was mowing yesterday (minding my own business, of course) when the mower blades stopped spinning. The belt doesn't move. When I turn on the electric clutch for the front PTO, I get nothing. I have a Woods F-35 belly mower run off of a front PTO that was optional on the 1986 IH 234 tractor. I have dug through the forums here to find and answer, but have not quite found one.

There is a wire connection at the electric clutch for the PTO. I put a test light on it, turned on the key, turned on the front electric PTO switch, and no light. That could mean no juice, or that the engine must be running for juice. I next ran a wire directly from the battery to the wire connection at the clutch, and got the "click". So I deduce that the clutch works. I dropped the electric front PTO switch from the dashboard, turned on the key, and tried my test light on all six of the switch connectors. No juice. I turned on the electric front PTO switch (key still on) and still no juice at any connector on the PTO switch. I suspect there is a break in the circuit between the ignition switch and the electric PTO switch.

My wiring diagram says there is a red wire from the ignition switch to the PTO switch, and a wire with a 10A fuse between the PTO switch and the electric PTO clutch. I can't find that 10A fuse in the wire. But even if I could find it and it were blown, I should have juice at the PTO switch.

I suppose there are safety circuits somewhere coming off of the PTO switch, explaining why thre are six connectors. I also suppose if I were not a fan of being safe, I could run a separate wire from the ignition to a SPST Radioshack switch and to the front PTO clutch. Maybe as only a test, maybe for the remaining useful life of the tractor (or me if this is dangerous).

Any ideas on what I missed, what I should try? Am I reaching bad conclusions? I understand that as I become a farmer, I have to fix things myself.

Thanks.

/ Case IH 234 front PTO electric clutch troubleshooting #2  
Can you scan and post the wiring diagram that you're looking at? I'd be willing to see what I can help with.

/ Case IH 234 front PTO electric clutch troubleshooting
I am using this diagram from a shop manual. The owner's manual does not show which wire goes where.

/ Case IH 234 front PTO electric clutch troubleshooting #4  
I've got two things to look at.....the fuse....and another diagram.
Check the fuse to make sure that it didn't pop. Pull the fuse and use an ohm meter to test from one side to the other. This is the best way to make sure that a fuse isn't the issue. Looks like it would be the brown (looks maybe labeled br or be) would be the wire that goes hot when you turn the PTO on. With those solenoids having a fair draw to them, it would be my guess that there is a relay in line with this somewhere. Trace that wire and I think we will be onto something.

The Case 234 has four fuses on the dashboard. All of them are fine. The wiring diagram shows an in-line fuse but I can't find it. I think the wire goes from the electric PTO switch under the gas tank, and it must be there. However, with the key on, there is no electric power at the electric PTO switch. So maybe the fuse is bad, but there must be something bad further up stream. Last night I checked the ground on the switch, and that has continuity with the frame, but I still have no power at the switch.
I have created a wire with an in-line fuse that I intend to clamp right to the positive lead of the battery. I bet that will turn on the clutch. I next want to hook it to the ignition switch rather than the battery. That way, I can by process of exclusion, find out where the break is.
I will report back! Thanks.

The good, the bad, and the ugly

The good is I mowed yesterday and today. I made a wire with a spade terminal on one end, a 10A fuse in-line, and a battery terminal clamp on the other. I started the tractor, and ran juice right to the electric clutch and mowed. Today I ran that wire from the battery to the output on the electric PTO switch, and mowed some more.

The bad? I still haven't found the bad wire, but I now know it is between the ignition and the electric PTO switch. That is a distance of less than 2 feet.

The ugly? I have the PTO switch hanging down the side of the tractor, and I have to manually plug in the bypass connections to mow. But at least I got the mowing done. I get another week to solve this problem.

/ Case IH 234 front PTO electric clutch troubleshooting #7  
Doesn't have to pretty as long as it gets the job done safe!