Case 580CK Backhoe question

/ Case 580CK Backhoe question #1  

dstankus

Tractor
Hydro 1600 Eliminator
I have recently been told that the original Case 580CK Construction King TLB with the 'suicide sticks' (one stick for each of the following - right outrigger, bucket, dipper, boom, left outrigger) were designed to only allow the boom or the dipper to move by themselves and not together - can anyone confirm or deny this?

This model did have as an option more modern controls where more than one function could be controlled with a stick - but I have the single sticks on my 1969 580CK.

I am wondering if the machine is broken or if its working as designed and I can stop spending money to try to get this to do something it was never intended to do. Any help would be appreciated.

/ Case 580CK Backhoe question #2  
dstankus,
That vintage of TLB was open center and used older technology directional controls. On most of these with some practice you can find a sweet spot where both the boom and dipper can be used at the same time. Problem is that oil takes the path of least resistance and the function with lowest load will always move first. While digging a hole these loads change which can cause first the dipper to move, then the boom, then maybe both for a little, etc..

/ Case 580CK Backhoe question
I appreciate the feedback - what you describe resembles the behavior I am seeing.

/ Case 580CK Backhoe question
From the Case Service manual -

Actuating More Than One Cylinder

If two spools are actuated at the same time, the cylinder meeting with the least resistance will move first and continue to move until it meets with more resistance than the other cylinder.

Example: The stabilizer spools are at opposite ends of the valve bank. When both spools are pulled, both stabilizers will retract. However, if a man stands on one stabilizer pad, the opposite cylinder will move until it bottoms out. Then the other cylinder will retract.

So it looks like practicing moves in the air (without any resistance) is really not possible.