Backhoe Case 580 Super L Backhoe wont start

/ Case 580 Super L Backhoe wont start #1  

Blueacre

Tractor
Case 580 SL and IH 574
I have a Case 580 Super L Backhoe. Always starts and runs great till yesterday. I was moving some round bales in a field on a bit of a side hill and the engine lost power and died. The fuel tank was at a fairly low level so I think it ran out of fuel and got air in the lines. I towed the machine to level ground and put 5 gallons of fuel in it. Bled the fuel lines and filter to the outlet of the filter - I did get air out when I bled the filer. I cracked open an injector line at the pump outlet and cranked the engine but it wouldnt fire after many tries. I do get fuel squirting out of the injector line. I opened the line at the filter outlet and cranked the engine - good flow with no air bubbles so the priming pump is working. I sprayed some starting fluid in the intake and it fired right up for a few seconds so it is definitley a fuel problem. I opened all four injector lines at the pumop and get fuel squirting out of all of them when I crank it over.

All I can figure is that the injection pump is pumping but not building up enough pressure to fire the injectors. No idea why this would happen if the start of the problem was only running out of fuel.

I would appreciate any help or ideas anyone has on what the problem might be or how I can test the injection pump to see if it is the problem without removing it and taking it to a fuel injection shop.

thanks
Gary

/ Case 580 Super L Backhoe wont start #3  
Are you sure that you have a good solid heavy squirt of fuel coming out of injection pump?

Make sure the cut off solenoid is moving the arm the full travel on the pump if that's what type you have, or remove the plunger from the solenoid if you have the screw in type.

/ Case 580 Super L Backhoe wont start #4  
Prime it until all the bubbles quit close the screw and you may have to turn it over quite a bit now to get all the air out. I don't think the solenoid would quit after running it out of fuel.Patience without wrecking the starter motor running it for more than short intervals. If you had water in the bottom of the tank that could slow the process down but since you've bled everything good chance it's just still has some air.