FARMALL 55A PROBLEMS

/ FARMALL 55A PROBLEMS #1  

farmall 55a case

Platinum Member
Tractor
case ih farmall 55a
Went out today to the tractor and tried to start it would not start right away! Always starts on the first crank, but today I had to crank it over for about thirty seconds? It runs fine but the it just died on me after it was running for over ten minutes. Not a slow spidering die either! Just like I turned the key off? When I went to start it back up had to crank it over for five seconds or so? Done it to me 6 times in four hours? Other than that it runs great and smooth and has all the power it normally has? Any input would be great! Air filter is clean and I put a new fuel filter on it after it died the second time didn't change a thing!? Thanks for reading and please help!

/ FARMALL 55A PROBLEMS
Believe I found the problem. Fuel shut off solenoid on the side of the injection pump.

/ FARMALL 55A PROBLEMS
Well that didn't fix it! Its a pita to try and fix something that dosent mess up all the time! How do you go about checking safety switches??

/ FARMALL 55A PROBLEMS
Any thoughts?

/ FARMALL 55A PROBLEMS #5  
Intermittant probelams are always a bear to diagnose. With the safety switches, just go through and check for normally open or closed according to the wiring diagram. Unfortunately, ti's tedious, time consuming, and a pain. Best of luck to ya on this one!

/ FARMALL 55A PROBLEMS
Worked on it all day Saturday. When it dose die I loose power to my fuel shut off solenoid. Everything else still works! Its not blowing a fuse so I don't think its a short in the wires. I traced them all and the look good. Could it possible be a relay? When it dose die if I turn the key off and weight about ten seconds if fires right back up?

/ FARMALL 55A PROBLEMS #7  
Could be anything from a relay to a short in wires to a bad safety switch. Unfortunately, it's narrowing it down as to which circuit is causing power to leave the solenoid and then which part, etc.....

/ FARMALL 55A PROBLEMS
Do relays reset there self or? What exactly is a relays job?

/ FARMALL 55A PROBLEMS #9  
A relay is just a tiny solenoid of sorts. It is a magnetic switch.

You apply power on the low amperage side that engages a magnet to throw a switch that is a higher electrical current. For instance, that draw that most headlights have would melt most dashboard switches, so a relay is used so a low current switch can trigger something with a higher amperage draw.

There's tons of things about this on you tube also.

/ FARMALL 55A PROBLEMS #10  
From ny experience, if a relay is bad, it's bad. It doesn't go bad intermittently. Not to say it can't happen.......lol