Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    case ih farmall 55a

Default FARMALL 55A PROBLEMS

Went out today to the tractor and tried to start it would not start right away! Always starts on the first crank, but today I had to crank it over for about thirty seconds? It runs fine but the it just died on me after it was running for over ten minutes. Not a slow spidering die either! Just like I turned the key off? When I went to start it back up had to crank it over for five seconds or so? Done it to me 6 times in four hours? Other than that it runs great and smooth and has all the power it normally has? Any input would be great! Air filter is clean and I put a new fuel filter on it after it died the second time didn't change a thing!? Thanks for reading and please help!

Tractor
    case ih farmall 55a

Believe I found the problem. Fuel shut off solenoid on the side of the injection pump.

Tractor
    case ih farmall 55a

Well that didn't fix it! Its a pita to try and fix something that dosent mess up all the time! How do you go about checking safety switches??

Tractor
    case ih farmall 55a

Any thoughts?

Tractor
    Case/IH DX33

Default Re: FARMALL 55A PROBLEMS

Intermittant probelams are always a bear to diagnose. With the safety switches, just go through and check for normally open or closed according to the wiring diagram. Unfortunately, ti's tedious, time consuming, and a pain. Best of luck to ya on this one!
    The forums are a great place to find information....but also a great place to find speculation. Only you can determine the real problems with your tractor. We're here to help you find the correct way to do it.

Tractor
    case ih farmall 55a

Worked on it all day Saturday. When it dose die I loose power to my fuel shut off solenoid. Everything else still works! Its not blowing a fuse so I don't think its a short in the wires. I traced them all and the look good. Could it possible be a relay? When it dose die if I turn the key off and weight about ten seconds if fires right back up?

Tractor
    Case/IH DX33

Could be anything from a relay to a short in wires to a bad safety switch. Unfortunately, it's narrowing it down as to which circuit is causing power to leave the solenoid and then which part, etc.....
    The forums are a great place to find information....but also a great place to find speculation. Only you can determine the real problems with your tractor. We're here to help you find the correct way to do it.

Tractor
    case ih farmall 55a

Do relays reset there self or? What exactly is a relays job?

Tractor
    Case/IH DX33

A relay is just a tiny solenoid of sorts. It is a magnetic switch.

You apply power on the low amperage side that engages a magnet to throw a switch that is a higher electrical current. For instance, that draw that most headlights have would melt most dashboard switches, so a relay is used so a low current switch can trigger something with a higher amperage draw.

There's tons of things about this on you tube also.

Tractor
    Case/IH DX33

From ny experience, if a relay is bad, it's bad. It doesn't go bad intermittently. Not to say it can't happen.......lol

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast