574 serial # 2310009B109748-x starting problems

/ 574 serial # 2310009B109748-x starting problems #1  

onemotime23

Tractor
International Harvester 574
I have a IH 574 with serial no 231000B109748-x it had a small fire at amp gauge and it burn the screw out the back of the amp gauge it did not shut down until I was able to get it home .

I replaced with a new amp gauge and have wire's wired as follows I have .10 gauge wire from starter to positive side on amp gauge and it has wire from ignition switch to negative side on amp gauge it has .10 gauge wire from a Lucas alternator to the positive side of amp gauge . tractor will not start back up.. Turns over but nothing...

I have also unwrapped all the wires to make sure nothing was burn or frayed .

While checking over things I notice the Lucas alternator has 2 wires but a 3 prong post on connection at alternator one wire is brown and unhooked no idea where it goes no owners manuals or wire diagrams for this British made 574 tractor...

Do I have this wired up right? for just info I have looked at the diagrams that are on Carter and Gruenewald Company, Inc. and none of them match how my tractor is wired anyone know if this is because it was a British 574 ?:confused:

And what is the correct wiring from the Lucas alternator to its correct components ?:confused:

Also have drain the fuel and will be putting new filters and fresh fuel in tractor.. I notice also when I turn the tractor over it has a little sucking on exhaust .

Is the sucking on exhaust normal?

Tractor has new starter and new Lucas alternator and new amp gauge

Tractor was running when I shut it down....

/ 574 serial # 2310009B109748-x starting problems #2  
If its turning over, and you drained the fuel, you probably need to bleed the fuel system. On my IH624 there was a bleeder screw right over the fuel filter.

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet

/ 574 serial # 2310009B109748-x starting problems
Thanks for the reply ... I plan to prime the unit but I am waiting on glass bowls for dbl filter system.. Will be here Monday ...But I was searching for any other answers that someone might have other than fuel .

I decided to drain the fuel and blew out the fuel lines in seeking a fix to the cranking issue .... will update on if it cranks after I get her prime back up ...

I just cant understand why it run fine after the burn out on amp/charge indicator but then when I got it home shut it off that it suddenly wont crank just has me scratching my head that fuel would be a issue but I guess it never hurts to drain the fuel....

Ok

So here is what we did

the tractor is back in business we have found the issue as for it cranking ... The fuel line had a hole in the rubber hose that runs under the seat it was replaced and fuel was drain then we blew out the fuel lines ..

new fuel filters
put fresh new fuel in tractor

then you must start by bleeding at the fuel filters then move to the other side of tractor to injector pump on left side of injector pump you have a fuel line that comes from fuel filters to injector pump you remove line then let it leak out fuel

then you move to the right side of injector pump to the lines that run to the injectors you remove line let fuel leak out until its a steady stream of fuel

then to the main line coming from right side of injector pump to injector you remove at injector end drain fuel until it runs steady then on the very top of the injector in the engine you have a bolt loosen and drain on each one of the above steps when you get to the injector pump it is a good idea to turn the tractor over to make sure you are pumping air out continue to turn tractor over with each injector to make sure you have all the air out.. if you have a bowl you will notice bubbles in that bowl.. Now when you get the tractor to crank good rule of thumb is to go to the fuel settlement bowl remove the glass bowl and let it run for a little while just to make sure all the air is out of the lines!

The second issue was bad fuel. and the 3rd issue that caused the amp gauge at this time we think was bad wire.. So we hope this help's someone else in the future .....

As for the lucas alternator when you get the tractor running make sure you have the alternator unhooked from all wires and nothing touching anything to short out ... Take you a test light and ground the gator clip and touch each prong on the alternator until you find the test light lit up now you have found the output to your alternator

now on some models the wires are run to starter then some go to battery some go to amp gauge some go to a bridge on my unit it has a internal regulator so we run it straight to the postive side on the amp gauge and then run a wire from amp gauge negative side to the alternator negative post......

We hope this helps someone else !

Last edited:
   / 574 serial # 2310009B109748-x starting problems #5  
Thanks for the update. I will look over mine to see if it looks like your set-up as mine has been "modified" by various owners in the past.

Update !!!!

I am not sure the Lucas alternator is wired correct I thought we had it ...After running I shut down the tractor and the battery is dead so means the alternator is not wired correct or either its not putting out like it should ... I got a good feeling the voltage reg. went out in the Lucas alternator its a re-man Lucas from Napa auto parts 3 months old ... was cheaper than anyone else I found of total $81.96 took off this after noon going to have tested to see if its doing what it should...

From what I can see by the diagrams that do not seem to have the same alternator it shows on them that a wire goes from the alternator to the starter positive side then a wire goes from the positive side of starter to positive side on amp gauge and then you have the thick black cable that goes to the battery from starter . that still leave's one prong on alternator open for something in that I have no idea what it is for !

The diagram show a wire going from alternator to the amp gauge neg side....

I'am certainly confused on this issue because the Lucas has 3 prongs and I am not so sure what prong is suppose to go to starter or what wire goes to amp gauge neg side ... the problem is none have labels its just 3 prongs in row like the following >>>> I I I <<< and use flag female quick disconnect at alternator . I thought I had found the neg side on the alternator and maybe I did and the regulator went out I do not know yet but will update when I find more out ..

If anyone can help me with this issue please by all means post as I check this daily to see if anyone has any update's!

If anyone know's what delco alternator will interchange and have one wire and know the correct wiring diagram to wire it please by all means let me know thanks in advance ...

/ 574 serial # 2310009B109748-x starting problems #7  
I hope to get to look at mine this weekend and will let you know what I find. Mine starts and runs ok but amp meter "bounces", usually on neg side.

I hope to get to look at mine this weekend and will let you know what I find. Mine starts and runs ok but amp meter "bounces", usually on neg side.

How I have it wired now hope this is working seems to be only thing in question is how the amp gauge reads when i crank it runs the amp gauge back then when cranked it moves just before the center mark. Its my understanding this is a 0 center amp gauge ..

I did find out what the terminals are on the alternator ... the smallest prog closest to the engine is the excite wire also known as DTL/Trio and should be wired to the ignition but should only have power when the ignition switch is in the on position. You must excite the alternator to turn it on..

The other 2 are what is called B+ they both are larger terminals and the Lucas and the Bosch alternator both are setup the same way for the Europe made 574 ...

So as of now i have the middle prong wired to the battery and the outside prong closest to your body when standing next to tractor wired from alternator to the neg - side of the amp gauge. It seems to be charging I have been able to run the tractor and switch off without having to jump it off to start back up the only other mishap here maybe i have to swap these 2 wires around but at the present time I think this is the correct connections. It took a lot of research because this tractor should have bridges and all sorts of other little things on it as anyone knows with older tractors most have had prior owners who just wired all sorts of Jerry rigs so lets hope this continues to work...

/ 574 serial # 2310009B109748-x starting problems #9  
Thanks for your help. I have not been able to get to my tractor due to more pressing work but will keep this handy for when I do get to see it.