Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    none

Default 970 Case

Hello to all!
    I'm going to look at a Case 970 tomorrow. Anything that I need to watch out for would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

Elite Member
    Tractor
    265 MF / JD 310B Backhoe

Default Re: 970 Case

TractorData.com J.I. Case 970 tractor information Spec info under different tabs.

http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/lis...ASE&mdltxt=970 Looks like prices start just under $4000.

J I CASE 930 For Sale - YouTube If soild they can be cheap workhorse near 100 HP old iron option.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    none

I'm really needing to know what to look for on these tractors that may cause me a problem in the near future.

Platinum Member

If it's a power shift tractor, do this check: With the engine running, when you push in the clutch (inching pedal) there should be an engine surge and transmission whine. Leave the range shifter (1-4) in neutral and let the clutch out. With the power shift lever in 1st, raise the 3 point hitch (provided it has one) and note the speed it raises. Repeat this in 2nd and 3rd. It should raise at the same speed in each. If it doesn't, there is a leak in one or more power shift clutches. That would mean the tractor would need to be split for repairs. If they have been maintained, they can run for lots of hours. I've heard of them going 8,000 hrs with just regular maintenance. If the transmission fluid (Hi-Tran) and filters have been neglected (especially the relief spring left off of the pressure filter) they can be trouble. Look at the tires. They are expensive to replace!

Kim

Elite Member
    Tractor
    265 MF / JD 310B Backhoe

Type: unsynchronized gear
    Gears: 8 forward and 2 reverse
    Clutch: dry disc

or power shift option:
    Transmission: Range Power Shift
    Type: partial power shift
    Gears: 12 forward and 4 reverse
    Clutch: hydraulic wet disc
    Four gears each with reverse and a three-speed forward powershift.

Kim that is good info. Sounds like for 40+ year old tractor the manual with the dry clutch would be preferred.

I am sure the front clutch pack in my JD must leak because when hot it does not want to pull forward well but there is no slippage in reverse. It is only any issue if I take it out on to the road to travel several miles like going to the welding shop, etc.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    none

Thanks Kim! That's the stuff I'm needing to know. What's your opinion on these tractors overall?

Platinum Member

My Dad farmed almost exclusively with the 70 series Cases. The only new one was a 970. Like I said, IF they had regular maintenance (the power shift tractors) they were a good tractor. He never had a manual transmission in a Case since the 930 got traded for the 970, but for reliability that would have been the best. About the only transmission issues he had were the torque limiter bolts shearing. Once they were updated to the bigger bolts, they were good. One thing to avoid in those tractors, is running them for stationary PTO work with the PS left in reverse. In reverse, one of the planetary sets rotates at 4 times the speed and will eventually sling all the oil out, cooking it. Dad did that to his 2290 running an auger, just after he had overhauled the engine. I have his 1070 now with a Westendorf loader. Makes a pretty handy loader tractor, but wish it had MFD.

Kim

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    none

Ok....thanks much, Kim! You have been a great source of knowledge. I was raised on Allis Chalmers, John Deere, and have ran some Fords. So, I have no Case experience. My wife and I bought a farm 3 years ago and we've been using my grandfathers equipment. Just looking to step out on our own and we've noticed that these old Case tractors are a lot of tractor for the money. But I know nothing about them. Thanks for the help.

Platinum Member

Just keep in mind they are nearing 40 years old and how they were taken care of is very important

Kim

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    none

Yep, you're exactly right!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast