970 Case

/ 970 Case #1  

Teaspoon

Bronze Member
Tractor
none
Hello to all!
I'm going to look at a Case 970 tomorrow. Anything that I need to watch out for would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

/ 970 Case #2  
   / 970 Case
I'm really needing to know what to look for on these tractors that may cause me a problem in the near future.

/ 970 Case #4  
If it's a power shift tractor, do this check: With the engine running, when you push in the clutch (inching pedal) there should be an engine surge and transmission whine. Leave the range shifter (1-4) in neutral and let the clutch out. With the power shift lever in 1st, raise the 3 point hitch (provided it has one) and note the speed it raises. Repeat this in 2nd and 3rd. It should raise at the same speed in each. If it doesn't, there is a leak in one or more power shift clutches. That would mean the tractor would need to be split for repairs. If they have been maintained, they can run for lots of hours. I've heard of them going 8,000 hrs with just regular maintenance. If the transmission fluid (Hi-Tran) and filters have been neglected (especially the relief spring left off of the pressure filter) they can be trouble. Look at the tires. They are expensive to replace!

Kim

/ 970 Case #5  
Type: unsynchronized gear
Gears: 8 forward and 2 reverse
Clutch: dry disc

or power shift option:
Transmission: Range Power Shift
Type: partial power shift
Gears: 12 forward and 4 reverse
Clutch: hydraulic wet disc
Four gears each with reverse and a three-speed forward powershift.

Kim that is good info. Sounds like for 40+ year old tractor the manual with the dry clutch would be preferred.

I am sure the front clutch pack in my JD must leak because when hot it does not want to pull forward well but there is no slippage in reverse. It is only any issue if I take it out on to the road to travel several miles like going to the welding shop, etc.

/ 970 Case
Thanks Kim! That's the stuff I'm needing to know. What's your opinion on these tractors overall?

/ 970 Case #7  
My Dad farmed almost exclusively with the 70 series Cases. The only new one was a 970. Like I said, IF they had regular maintenance (the power shift tractors) they were a good tractor. He never had a manual transmission in a Case since the 930 got traded for the 970, but for reliability that would have been the best. About the only transmission issues he had were the torque limiter bolts shearing. Once they were updated to the bigger bolts, they were good. One thing to avoid in those tractors, is running them for stationary PTO work with the PS left in reverse. In reverse, one of the planetary sets rotates at 4 times the speed and will eventually sling all the oil out, cooking it. Dad did that to his 2290 running an auger, just after he had overhauled the engine. I have his 1070 now with a Westendorf loader. Makes a pretty handy loader tractor, but wish it had MFD.

Kim

/ 970 Case
Ok....thanks much, Kim! You have been a great source of knowledge. I was raised on Allis Chalmers, John Deere, and have ran some Fords. So, I have no Case experience. My wife and I bought a farm 3 years ago and we've been using my grandfathers equipment. Just looking to step out on our own and we've noticed that these old Case tractors are a lot of tractor for the money. But I know nothing about them. Thanks for the help.

/ 970 Case #9  
Just keep in mind they are nearing 40 years old and how they were taken care of is very important

Kim