1979 Case 580C shuttle transmission slow to engage in forward when cold

/ 1979 Case 580C shuttle transmission slow to engage in forward when cold #1  

jturner311

Tractor
Case 580C
I have a 1979 Case 580C that is slow to engage the shuttle forward drive gear when the machine is cold. If you let it warm up about 10 minutes, it will engage normally and operate fine. No hesitation in engaging the shuttle reverse gear when cold. All hydraulics, bucket and backhoe, operate normally.

Have checked shuttle fluid level at check point in front of shift lever in floor of cab. Was slightly low, but took less than a quart of Case Hytra trans oil. Did not notice any significant change in gear engagement when machine was started cold.

Question: !) Is there any other location to check shuttle fluid levels on the 580C? 2) If I need to change the shuttle trans fluid, how many drain ports are there and where are they located?

Thanks, JT

/ 1979 Case 580C shuttle transmission slow to engage in forward when cold #2  
your are talking a backhoe correct or a tractor

/ 1979 Case 580C shuttle transmission slow to engage in forward when cold
Sorry, it is a 1979 Case 580C Backhoe with shuttle drive, 4 speed, forward and reverse.

/ 1979 Case 580C shuttle transmission slow to engage in forward when cold #4  
I had a 73 580b mine had the oppsite problem when it got hot it wouldn't move forward or back i don't know much bout the tranny in them backhoes

/ 1979 Case 580C shuttle transmission slow to engage in forward when cold #5  
i would try googling the problem that might help

Thanks. Google referred me to this forum. I am sure there are some very knowledgeable experts on this site that can give me some help when they have time.

/ 1979 Case 580C shuttle transmission slow to engage in forward when cold #7  
um to check the fluid in the shuttle there is a dip stick in the rear of the engine bay near the starter. (Right side of the tractor if your sitting in the cab)

Thanks for the help. It is very much appreciated..

/ 1979 Case 580C shuttle transmission slow to engage in forward when cold #9  
I think thats normal for them. Need to warm up first.

/ 1979 Case 580C shuttle transmission slow to engage in forward when cold #10  
It is quite normal even in good shape best to let them warm up for 10 minutes .