Tractor
    1969 Case 430

Default Case 440 clutch

I have a case 440 ( 1969 ) with a gas engine. The clutch pushes a rod .... that goes into a hole in the engine. ( all I can see ) and oil is leaking out. The clutch has stopped working now. I assume it is out of fluid. I have 2 questions.

1) where to I refill this? and 2) is this a hydrolic clutch?

Thanks in advance, you have saved me more than once already ....

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Massey 180 Diesel

Default Re: Case 440 clutch

This is not a hydraulic clutch. More then likely the seal is out of the hydraulic reservoir, coming into the torque tube. I'd imagine the clutch disc is soaked with oil, as to why it is not working, or slipping.

You'll need to split the tractor, and replace the seal(s) around the main drive shaft that passes through the reservoir.

I'm posting a link from Case/IH parts pages for a 430, which should be similar. Select the component/section you want to look at, and it will show an exploded view of said item, and parts listing, with part numbers. Official Case IH Online Parts Store and Case IH Catalog for Best Parts Search and Best Parts Look Up. Case IH Parts for Case IH Tractors, Case IH Combines, Case IH Tractors, Case IH Manuals, Case IH Parts

It's not too bad of a job, if it is a bare tractor, and to have the means to split the tractor. I had a 310B Backhoe I had to do the same to. Splitting and replacing the seal was a piece of cake, compared to removing and putting the hoe and loader back on.

If you don't have a service manual, better get one...