Diagrams and identifying all levers in an International Harvester 574

/ Diagrams and identifying all levers in an International Harvester 574 #1  

rnk

Tractor
International 574
Hi,

Hello all... I am new to this forum and tractors, as I have just recently bought land that needs a tractor to maintain it.

I have an old IH 574 diesel tractor. I have got a copy of the user manual and workshop manual on a CD, but there are no diagrams in the user manual. There are references to diagrams, but they are not included in the .pdf document.

I need to know what all of the levers and knobs are for in the cab, as most of the stickers and identifying marking are rubbed off, peeled off or rusted away. I tried moving the levers to identify what they did. Some were obvious, and some made a few funny noises and seemed to load the hydraulics (but nothing was moving!) and slowed the engine down, so I stopped messing with them before I trashed something.

I have figured out the levers for the following functions:-

1) Lifting and lowering the hitch linkage, as that moves with the lever (right hand side of the driver's seat).
2) Start and stop the PTO (... but it has a 3-position detented gate - don't understand that)
3) Four-speed gears and fwd-neutral-reverse levers (left of the river's seat).
4) Hand throttle on right hand side of the steering wheel.
5) Parking brake on left side foot-well under the seat

However, there are additional levers on the right of the seat that are marked with "high and low", but I don't know what they are all for.

These are grouped in as 4 levers in a "quadrant" panel directly to the right of the driver's seat that have a very stiff and heavy action.

6) The one nearest the seat is the PTO start-stop, but it has 3 positions. What are the three positions (start, stop and what) ?
7) One lever for the hitch up-down function (identified and operating OK)
8) One lever marked "fast-slow" with a rabbit and tortoise symbols (fast and slow what???)
9) A lever marked "heavy" (heavy what?) , but all other markings are missing.

10) Additionally, there is a single 3-position lever slightly further forward and lower down below this 4-lever quadrant to the right of the driver's seat. It has a light, positive 3-position "click-action" and feels like a hydraulic valve operating lever. It is much lighter in operation than the four heavy levers in the quadrant higher up next to the right of the driver's seat.
11) There is a small, stubby, serrated pedal tight in under the right hand side of the drivers seat that would be operated by the driver's right heel. What is that for?
12) A lever on the left of the steering wheel that does something with the hydraulics, as I can hear a change in noises when I move it.

If anyone can help me identify and explain what these levers (items 6, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12, above) are and the uses for the different detent positions of them, I would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

/ Diagrams and identifying all levers in an International Harvester 574 #3  
Pictures would help. I don't know IH's, but could fast-slow be draft control. I'd guess the heel foot lever is the differential lock?

/ Diagrams and identifying all levers in an International Harvester 574
Hi,

Thanks for the quick replies.

What is the "draft control"? What does that do? I really am new to driving tractors! So far I have only made the PTO and lifting linkage work.

Cheers,

Rob

/ Diagrams and identifying all levers in an International Harvester 574 #5  
For me at least, there are few things as helpful as manuals with good clear pictures. Because the numbers on photocopies are sometimes hard to read, I strongly advise you to bite the bullett and order some factory prints. I've had good luck with ebay.

/ Diagrams and identifying all levers in an International Harvester 574 #6  
Hi,

Hello all... I am new to this forum and tractors, as I have just recently bought land that needs a tractor to maintain it.

I have an old IH 574 diesel tractor. I have got a copy of the user manual and workshop manual on a CD, but there are no diagrams in the user manual. There are references to diagrams, but they are not included in the .pdf document.

I need to know what all of the levers and knobs are for in the cab, as most of the stickers and identifying marking are rubbed off, peeled off or rusted away. I tried moving the levers to identify what they did. Some were obvious, and some made a few funny noises and seemed to load the hydraulics (but nothing was moving!) and slowed the engine down, so I stopped messing with them before I trashed something.

I have figured out the levers for the following functions:-

1) Lifting and lowering the hitch linkage, as that moves with the lever (right hand side of the driver's seat).
2) Start and stop the PTO (... but it has a 3-position detented gate - don't understand that)
3) Four-speed gears and fwd-neutral-reverse levers (left of the river's seat).
4) Hand throttle on right hand side of the steering wheel.
5) Parking brake on left side foot-well under the seat

However, there are additional levers on the right of the seat that are marked with "high and low", but I don't know what they are all for.

These are grouped in as 4 levers in a "quadrant" panel directly to the right of the driver's seat that have a very stiff and heavy action.

6) The one nearest the seat is the PTO start-stop, but it has 3 positions. What are the three positions (start, stop and what) ?
7) One lever for the hitch up-down function (identified and operating OK)
8) One lever marked "fast-slow" with a rabbit and tortoise symbols (fast and slow what???)
9) A lever marked "heavy" (heavy what?) , but all other markings are missing.

10) Additionally, there is a single 3-position lever slightly further forward and lower down below this 4-lever quadrant to the right of the driver's seat. It has a light, positive 3-position "click-action" and feels like a hydraulic valve operating lever. It is much lighter in operation than the four heavy levers in the quadrant higher up next to the right of the driver's seat.
11) There is a small, stubby, serrated pedal tight in under the right hand side of the drivers seat that would be operated by the driver's right heel. What is that for?
12) A lever on the left of the steering wheel that does something with the hydraulics, as I can hear a change in noises when I move it.

If anyone can help me identify and explain what these levers (items 6, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12, above) are and the uses for the different detent positions of them, I would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

#6) 2 Speed PTO
#8) Rockshaft control, dictates how quickly the 3 pt reacts to something obstructing a ground-engaging implement.
#10)Shuttle shifter?
#11) Rear differential lock

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet

/ Diagrams and identifying all levers in an International Harvester 574 #7  
Welcome to the website, and congratulations on the property. I own a ih 574 and will assist you with your questions. #6 is the power take off. Rear position is off, when engaging pto, slowly move lever ahead to engage implement, then lock it in place. #8 is your 3pt hitsh response raise/lower speed. #9 is used for your draft controlls that puts pressure down/up on your implements.This is to fine tune how deep you want to go with the implement or raise it. #10. Tthe 3 position lever is to engage your rear remote cylinders. This works in conjunction tolever #12 to transfer hydraulics from your front loader to your bottom right engagement lever. My transfer is a knob that gets pulled up to dis engage thefront hydraulics and changes it to the 4 hydraulic output hoses on the rear of the tractor. If i push the lever down, the loader works. It is trying to engage your rear remotes. If nothing is hooked up to it it will groan rather than move the hydraulic cylinder. #11 The serrated pedal is for the differental lock to engage both wells when it needs traction. The rear fuel tank is notorious for collecting rust. Had to put household clr in it and let set over night. Mine is gas, had to replace carb, ran great for 30 hrs and ran rough again. Had to have a machine shop replace 3 exhaust valves in it. It runs great now, fires right up and plenty of power for mower,snowblower. Hope this helps.

/ Diagrams and identifying all levers in an International Harvester 574 #8  
We can i find a diagram of the levers on 574 international tractor

/ Diagrams and identifying all levers in an International Harvester 574 #10