Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Elite Member
    Tractor
    265 MF / JD 310B Backhoe

Default Re: Would appreciate a response 585 case ih vs 265 mf

Maybe tractor prices have climbed a bit but that does not seem to be the case locally. Asking prices have climbed it seems but not so much the selling price.

Guys I bit the bullet. I got the 585 case. It had not been cleaned since trade in. It really looked good, no leaks anywhere, everything worked fine, started up cold no problem, all the fluids looked good (previous owner had recently serviced). Only problem I could find was the hydraulic fluid was over filled. The dealer called the previous owner to see if he knew why, he did not. Said one of his guys could have overfilled when they serviced it. Is it critical to remove the excess? it,s way over full. Thanks again for the advise. Ray

Elite Member
    Tractor
    265 MF / JD 310B Backhoe

Sounds like a nice tractor for you. I never found a reason to get overly concerned about hydraulic fluid levels as there is no crank, etc beating the fluid.

Tractor
    Many

Congratulations, that should be a nice tractor for you. I never overfill. If it is "way over" full, I would drain some off. You do need room for expansion. A little over should not hurt.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    2013 john deere 5075E and others

Not knowing details on the individual machines you mentioned I would have chosen the 585 as well if all other things being equal. A Case-IH 585 is basicly a IH 585 with sheet metal changes, the first series after the merger. Case- IH favored the Case design on the larger tractors and the IH design on the smaller ones. I think a TA was still available on some of the CIH 585's, if so I personally would have passed it for the MF. The MF HI-LO, 1-2-3-4 between your legs is a time proven design, but I don't like it much. Gear selection on either side of the seat is much more desirable for me. Keep in mind I am a Case fan and a IH fan, but I have put several hundred hours on a MF 383 and found it a solid tractor that was well balanced.

Thanks, I removed the fill plug and there is a lot of open space inside the housing. I beleive there,s room for expansion. Seems to me that the dip stick is positioned at the bottom of the housing. Does anyone know what it's capacity is?
    Tks Ray

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123