Comparison Would appreciate a response 585 case ih vs 265 mf

/ Would appreciate a response 585 case ih vs 265 mf #21  
Maybe tractor prices have climbed a bit but that does not seem to be the case locally. Asking prices have climbed it seems but not so much the selling price.

/ Would appreciate a response 585 case ih vs 265 mf
Guys I bit the bullet. I got the 585 case. It had not been cleaned since trade in. It really looked good, no leaks anywhere, everything worked fine, started up cold no problem, all the fluids looked good (previous owner had recently serviced). Only problem I could find was the hydraulic fluid was over filled. The dealer called the previous owner to see if he knew why, he did not. Said one of his guys could have overfilled when they serviced it. Is it critical to remove the excess? it,s way over full. Thanks again for the advise. Ray

/ Would appreciate a response 585 case ih vs 265 mf #23  
Sounds like a nice tractor for you. I never found a reason to get overly concerned about hydraulic fluid levels as there is no crank, etc beating the fluid.

/ Would appreciate a response 585 case ih vs 265 mf #24  
Congratulations, that should be a nice tractor for you. I never overfill. If it is "way over" full, I would drain some off. You do need room for expansion. A little over should not hurt.

/ Would appreciate a response 585 case ih vs 265 mf #25  
Not knowing details on the individual machines you mentioned I would have chosen the 585 as well if all other things being equal. A Case-IH 585 is basicly a IH 585 with sheet metal changes, the first series after the merger. Case- IH favored the Case design on the larger tractors and the IH design on the smaller ones. I think a TA was still available on some of the CIH 585's, if so I personally would have passed it for the MF. The MF HI-LO, 1-2-3-4 between your legs is a time proven design, but I don't like it much. Gear selection on either side of the seat is much more desirable for me. Keep in mind I am a Case fan and a IH fan, but I have put several hundred hours on a MF 383 and found it a solid tractor that was well balanced.

/ Would appreciate a response 585 case ih vs 265 mf
Thanks, I removed the fill plug and there is a lot of open space inside the housing. I beleive there,s room for expansion. Seems to me that the dip stick is positioned at the bottom of the housing. Does anyone know what it's capacity is?
Tks Ray

/ Would appreciate a response 585 case ih vs 265 mf #27  
you will like the case 585 once you get use to the gears independent power , the hyds. are all well designed and should do your job very good . you want to pull that thing on level ground run engine 1300 RPM for around 3 minutes shut tractor check hyd.fluid immediately ,should show full or a little above the more you check after the first time the fuller it will show the first reading is correct,oh I have a 585 case ih with 9000 plus hours and is still going runs good ,bought new and would love to have another one just like it I guess you could call me a ih fan I really like mine , have 2 245 masseys and 1 C70 McCormick ,but my old 585 is my pick holt50

/ Would appreciate a response 585 case ih vs 265 mf #28  
I know this is an old thread, but the X85/X95 series CaseIH tractors have many good features. The transmission is synchronized in the speed gears and has 4 reverse gears, seems as if the 8/2 transmissions are always too fast or too slow in reverse. The bottom of the tractor has no hydraulic lines or brake linkage to get damaged in brush. It has excellent power steering and a comfortable seat. The power brakes are excellent, but maybe a bit more maintenance intensive in the valving/master cylinders.

The negatives to me are the fiberglass front nose and the park brake band in the transmission. Not many park brakes still work because of the design and operators driving with them on.

/ Would appreciate a response 585 case ih vs 265 mf #29  
holt50 Oh yes ,the fiberglass front was a mistake from day one my who has passed on now bumped a lightpole at the end of the field and that bump cost 550. dollars , as for the parking brake mine still works had to put a cable on about 10 years ago, when you pull on the brake and it clicks more than three times you need to adjust it or you will only wear the cable out and it won't hold very good,the brakes should be alright ,they might need bleeding if the brakes go over half way down or one is higher than the other,in my opinion you made the right choice thanks holt50

/ Would appreciate a response 585 case ih vs 265 mf #30  
holt50 hey there I forgot to add that there are two lights that flash when the brake is on,you might want to check underneath and make sure the wire is plugged up ,if my lights didn't work I would forget mine and leave it on half the time it needs a buzzer , I can hear better than i can see. holt50