Comparison Would appreciate a response 585 case ih vs 265 mf

/ Would appreciate a response 585 case ih vs 265 mf #1  

ARAYT

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 1700, Ford 750 TLB, Case 585
Looking to buy about 50-60 hp tractor. Found 585 case ih and 265 massey both about same money same shape both 2wd single set of remotes. Case dealer a little closer but not much. Will use for bush hogging and possible hay work. Anything i need to be looking for on these two models? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks Ray

/ Would appreciate a response 585 case ih vs 265 mf #2  
According to the information you've presented, I'd go with the Massey even though it is older. It has more power at the PTO, more lift at the three point, more hydraulic flow, and more weight to plant the power on the ground. I believe it will do your suggested tasks with more ease. The only thing that could be viewed as an advantage for the Case is it has 540 or 1000RPM at the PTO. Nothing I would consider required or advantageous for your tasks.

/ Would appreciate a response 585 case ih vs 265 mf #3  
Having both Case and Massey in similar models, similar years, both having thousands and thousands of hours and both having been rebuilt, I can say my Massey rebuilt better. Not saying the Case is a bad machine, it is just that those Perkins engines of that generation are hard to beat. While all the capacity checking from Tractor Data is good to look at, you can get in trouble buying based mostly on that. I know Perkins parts were very available when mine was rebuilt, Case not quite as available, but still very much out there. So I would advise to go with the better condition tractor, with a slight lean towards favoring the Massey. Just my $0.02.

/ Would appreciate a response 585 case ih vs 265 mf #4  
Looking to buy about 50-60 hp tractor. Found 585 case ih and 265 massey both about same money same shape both 2wd single set of remotes. Case dealer a little closer but not much. Will use for bush hogging and possible hay work. Anything i need to be looking for on these two models? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks Ray

A couple of more things I thought of. Since you mention haying and hogging, check the 3pt and PTOs out very well. Including raising the 3 PT with a brush hog if you can. Make sure the draft control is not bothering normal lifting ability. Shut the tractor off with the 3 pt raised and look for a slow, slow drop down, not a quick one. Operate the PTO and look/listen for abnormal sounds and signs. Check how smooth it goes in and out of PTO engagement (follow owners manual procedures). Check the transmission fluid for any signs of water or metals if possible. On the engine look for your tell tale signs there too. Clean oil. No coolant leakage. Good starting, etc. Pull the dipstick with engine running and see if you see a mist coming out (should not see any).

/ Would appreciate a response 585 case ih vs 265 mf
Tomseller many thanks for the info. I,ve been reading till my eyes are bleeding. I,m leaning towards the mf. I have a small ford (1700) that I,ve had problems with and the parts are outreagous.. I,ll check out what you suggested.
Thanks Again Ray

/ Would appreciate a response 585 case ih vs 265 mf #6  
Tomseller many thanks for the info. I,ve been reading till my eyes are bleeding. I,m leaning towards the mf. I have a small ford (1700) that I,ve had problems with and the parts are outreagous.. I,ll check out what you suggested.
Thanks Again Ray

I have one of those old joint venture, companies now not working together tractors. If it were not for the Internet and Google, it would be scrap metal. I don't know anything about your Ford 1700 Shibaura

/ Would appreciate a response 585 case ih vs 265 mf #7  
I had a 255 massey, same as a 265 with different pump and injectors. Loved it, I had it turned up to 74 pto hp and it had the weight to handle the power. would out work any = tractor around. Can't beat the massey.

Thanks for the info. Really wanted to stay with an older tractor. Scarred of the new stuff!
Thanks again ray

Thanks for the info. Really wanted to stay with an older tractor. Scarred of the new stuff!
Thanks again ray

/ Would appreciate a response 585 case ih vs 265 mf #10  
We actually use the old girls more than the new ones.