Pricing hydraulic pump for IH C - best source?

/ Pricing hydraulic pump for IH C - best source? #1  

lhfarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA
I restore old Willys jeeps and have a 3pt hitch on the back that uses the same pump as the IH model C. I need to replace the pump. Searching the Web, I've found prices from $425 to $700. Am I looking at different pumps or are IH parts being marked up that much? If I have to spend that kind of money, I'd like to be sure I'm working with a good operation. Would appreciate advice on good, fair priced sources.

Thanks,

/ Pricing hydraulic pump for IH C - best source? #2  
Is the pump beyond putting new seal/o-rings/sealing ring in? You can get seal/o-ring kits from Case/IH for a lot less than a new/rebuilt pump. Around $70-$75 for those kits.

/ Pricing hydraulic pump for IH C - best source?
Is the pump beyond putting new seal/o-rings/sealing ring in? You can get seal/o-ring kits from Case/IH for a lot less than a new/rebuilt pump. Around $70-$75 for those kits.

I took the first pump we had for our jeep's Newgren 3pt lift to a hydraulic repair shop and they told me the pump was completely worn out and couldn't be repaired. Some research turned up the fact that the pump used by Newgren was the same one used on the IH-C. So I purchased a used C pump. The pump does work, but I'm not sure it isn't worn (gears) too and it certainly leaks. I have been searching the web for both rebuild parts (gears and seals/o-rings) and for new/rebuilt pumps.

I guess I should take the pump to an IH dealer (nearest one is about 30 minutes away) and see if they can get the kits. I've not found the seals on-line, but have seen the gears.

Thanks for the reply.

/ Pricing hydraulic pump for IH C - best source? #4  
Most generally if it is leaking, it is the front seal, behind the drive gear. I've replaced the one's on both of my Super C's. Here is a link to Case/IH showing the pumps. Apparently they don't handle the gears etc. but do still carry new pumps. Rather pricey @ $733. Hoping mine last forever..!!

Here is the link showing pumps & parts available + prices: (FARMALL C) - TRACTOR (1/48-12/51) Click on Hydraulics, then select pump from menu to see the pumps.

/ Pricing hydraulic pump for IH C - best source?
Thanks. I'll order a seal. Any tips on taking the pump apart and replacing the seal? I don't have a press. Should I take it to a shop?

If all else fails, I might go with this - Farmall C Hydraulic Pump (384506R94)

/ Pricing hydraulic pump for IH C - best source? #6  
Messicks.com should get you what you need

/ Pricing hydraulic pump for IH C - best source? #7  
The pumps are pretty simple to take apart. Remove the drive gear, then the woodruff key. Mark the pump body and cover so the are reassembled in the same position. Remove bolts holding it together, and the usually come apart pretty easy. Might be an idea to mark the drive & driven gear so they go back together in the same mesh too. Just watch the little spring plate inside when putting it back together.

I find a piece of clean scrap 2X6 to lay the pump segmnent on, to tap the new seal in. A bushing/seal driver, or a clean piece of 1X or 2X2 wooden block, once the seal is started to take it on home.

Lube everything with your hydraulic oil, and put back together. Just be careful putting the shaft back through the new seal. Some lube, and I like to give it a little twisting action as I push it through nice & easy.

The link I posted is actually from Messick's. Saves some sticker shock sometimes...