Case IH 5130 PTO problem

/ Case IH 5130 PTO problem #1  

ghollman

Tractor
Case IH 5130
Hi, I am new here, i have a 1991 Case IH 5130 with a PTO problem, a couple years ago I had the pin fail and repaired, this seems different, was working fine baling I disengaged the PTO when I came a corner, when I reengaged the PTO it made a squeal and only spun at a slower speed I cycled the lever and it got even worse, sounds like hyd fluid bypassing somewhere inside! I shut down and unhooked the PTO shaft, started the tractor and engaged the PTO and it spun pushed my shoe against it and could not stop it (I could when the pin broke!) I hooked the PTO shaft back up and it won't turn the baler. I unhooker the 5130 drove it to the yard, fired up my trusty 1952 WD-9 with a crank and finished my baling with no problems so the baler runs fine!?!? any Ideas??? Thanks

/ Case IH 5130 PTO problem #2  
Just had the same problem with the same tractor a year ago. Its the brake for the PTO. Forget how much it was to fix, took it to the dealer, had to be split. Caused by taking the PTO out of gear before idling the tractor down with something heavy on it like a forage harvestor, flail mower, etc...

/ Case IH 5130 PTO problem #3  
Hi, I am new here, i have a 1991 Case IH 5130 with a PTO problem, a couple years ago I had the pin fail and repaired, this seems different, was working fine baling I disengaged the PTO when I came a corner, when I reengaged the PTO it made a squeal and only spun at a slower speed I cycled the lever and it got even worse, sounds like hyd fluid bypassing somewhere inside! I shut down and unhooked the PTO shaft, started the tractor and engaged the PTO and it spun pushed my shoe against it and could not stop it (I could when the pin broke!) I hooked the PTO shaft back up and it won't turn the baler. I unhooker the 5130 drove it to the yard, fired up my trusty 1952 WD-9 with a crank and finished my baling with no problems so the baler runs fine!?!? any Ideas??? Thanks

I've seen a lot of people do this and it just never made any sense to me. Why disengage the pto at the end of a row to make a turn? All your doing is putting stress and strain and wear on your pto clutch, engine and whatever piece of equipment you're pulling. Letting the baler or whatever you're pulling run without a load on is not going to hurt it. It's doing more harm than good to start and stop it.

/ Case IH 5130 PTO problem
Thanks for your responses! I will be pulling the PTO housing off shortly and will take it to get repaired! I will let you know what we find!!

/ Case IH 5130 PTO problem #6  
can anyone assist me ,I have a 444 IHI and am not sure of the way that the oil works in the PTO and gearbox etc.
I recently replaced the seal around the PTO output shaft and wish to replace the oil as it has reduced and also appeared milky,I dont know the quantity or even where to place the oil,there are some plug bolts in the hydraulic section under the seat but im not sure ,
thanks Dean

/ Case IH 5130 PTO problem #7  
Case IH 5130 with PTO Problem. PTO spins but has no power. Reversible PTO. I pulled the PTO out (33 Spline) and reversed it then reversed it back to 540. The PTO is working now. I think that the dowel pin that controls the speed(540-1000) was stuck in a bad spot, if that is possible. Anyway, I am putting a new shaft in the tractor and hopefully that will work. The old one had a little wear on it.