IH 3414 gas burner backhoe hydraulic issues please help.

/ IH 3414 gas burner backhoe hydraulic issues please help. #1  

thetester

Bronze Member
Tractor
3414 IH
Hey guys I have done a lot of searching and have plenty threads regarding these old odd balls but none that has been helpful to my issue..... Let me explain my issues and any help will be GREATLY appreciated.. I bought an old 3414 case IH backhoe.. I think the backhoe part is another model number something like 3120 but not sure all the details yet..

Here is my issue regarding the hydraulics..I know this machine has a diverter valve and know pretty much the gist of how it works on this machine so needless to say I have tried fiddling a LOT with this to see if it helps with my problem.... When I first crank this machine I can engage the bucket lever and the front bucket will raise pretty quick.. When I let it down and try to raise it back up its slow and will raise a little and stop.. I can rev the engine and it will raise but really really slow.. When I shut it off and let it sit for a few seconds and crank it back up it will do the same, first go really fast then on the second go it is gone.. Same goes with the backhoe except it will not raise quick at all just really slow when reved up.. Since I know there are two pumps where one works the swing and steering while the other works all other functions, I don't know which is the main pump for the majority of the hydraulics I am assuming the front pump is the main pump. However the swing and steering is flawless.. I have tried using the swing and other like reach or back bucket and the swing will stay steady fast while the others have no change..

It makes me think the hydraulics are deadheading some how.. Can anyone who has any experience with this old machine give me some advice.. I dont know where to start taking things apart and start checking.. I can take pics if any is needed.. I don't know if there is some type of ball bearing relief in a valve assembly or poppet of some type.. At this point I am at mercy for help on where to start, where to look and what to look for.. What to take apart first.. This is my first backhoe so I am pretty green..

Thank you guys if anyone is willing to help me out...
TheTester..

/ IH 3414 gas burner backhoe hydraulic issues please help.
I would have thought I would get at least a few replies since I have seen a lot of threads on the 3414.. I know I am very green to backhoes and larger hydraulics so here is what I have done so far. I have dumped the fluid and sit a jar up to see if it would seperate.. It did not but it is still a vanilla milky color.. We tore the front main gear pump off and took it apart to inspect.. It looks to be in perfect condition with no wear to any parts, seals or gears.. Tolerances look VERY tight.. Today I am going to pull the front spool bank, disassemble, inspect and blow out all orifices with compressed air...

Could anyone on here tell me where the system relief is on this machine..?? Since I am tearing into the front spool bank could someone tell me what the reliefs might look like in general when I come across them?? That and check balls or bypass valves.. I will be the first to admit I am grass green on this buuuuut we all gotta start and learn somewhere..

Thank you guys if anyone finally decides to respond and try to help me out..

/ IH 3414 gas burner backhoe hydraulic issues please help. #3  
Try the ytmag website.Theres several guys talk about these hoes in the forums on there
Hey guys I have done a lot of searching and have plenty threads regarding these old odd balls but none that has been helpful to my issue..... Let me explain my issues and any help will be GREATLY appreciated.. I bought an old 3414 case IH backhoe.. I think the backhoe part is another model number something like 3120 but not sure all the details yet..

Here is my issue regarding the hydraulics..I know this machine has a diverter valve and know pretty much the gist of how it works on this machine so needless to say I have tried fiddling a LOT with this to see if it helps with my problem.... When I first crank this machine I can engage the bucket lever and the front bucket will raise pretty quick.. When I let it down and try to raise it back up its slow and will raise a little and stop.. I can rev the engine and it will raise but really really slow.. When I shut it off and let it sit for a few seconds and crank it back up it will do the same, first go really fast then on the second go it is gone.. Same goes with the backhoe except it will not raise quick at all just really slow when reved up.. Since I know there are two pumps where one works the swing and steering while the other works all other functions, I don't know which is the main pump for the majority of the hydraulics I am assuming the front pump is the main pump. However the swing and steering is flawless.. I have tried using the swing and other like reach or back bucket and the swing will stay steady fast while the others have no change..

It makes me think the hydraulics are deadheading some how.. Can anyone who has any experience with this old machine give me some advice.. I dont know where to start taking things apart and start checking.. I can take pics if any is needed.. I don't know if there is some type of ball bearing relief in a valve assembly or poppet of some type.. At this point I am at mercy for help on where to start, where to look and what to look for.. What to take apart first.. This is my first backhoe so I am pretty green..

Thank you guys if anyone is willing to help me out...
TheTester..

/ IH 3414 gas burner backhoe hydraulic issues please help. #4  
YTMAG.com or (yesterdays tractors) website has forums on IH and using your tractor and crop talk.The forums will be in the column on the left.Ive always gotten help from guys on there,and give back some help too