Case 580b ck fan removal

/ Case 580b ck fan removal #1  

tomcase580b

Bronze Member
Tractor
case 580b
IMG_20131028_195311.jpg

I'm replacing a water pump on my mid 70's case 580 b ck. Can someone shed some light on how to remove the fan assembly. I removed the 4 bolts that hold the fan onto the pulley, but the fan does not come right off. I don't want to force it, but It may need some help? attached a pic from the manual.

Thanks for the help in advance

/ Case 580b ck fan removal #2  
Try holding the pulley with your left hand, and gently turn the fan, with slight outward/inward pressure. Just replaced the pump on my 480C last summer, and it was somewhat "glued" on from a bit of rust, dirt, oil, etc. Tolerence where the fan sets on the pump hub is pretty close, so go easy, and hang on to it so it doesn't go into the radiator.

Might be an idea to remove the + cable from the battery also. I used a long handled wrench, and got pretty close to the terminals on the alt., so did remove a cable to prevent further problems.

/ Case 580b ck fan removal
I figured it may be welded on there with dirt rust and grime...I have the radiator off...so I'll give her a little help

So I removed the fan and pulley…that had 40 years of grime holding it together….removed the water pump and found no gasket…not even evidence of one….how can i tell if the pump is bad?….it spins free…has a little play / wobble…i have a new one coming…should i just replace it anyway, or was it the fact that there was no gasket that caused the leaking?

/ Case 580b ck fan removal #5  
Usually when the pump seal is bad, it will leak out the weep hole. Since it's apart, go ahead and put the new one on.

If you ever need any parts for your hoe, check this place out, and their prices: Remanufactured Transmissions, Torque Converters, Engines - Joseph Industries When I needed brake parts, and a water pump for my 480C, they beat everyone hands down, and really have nice parts..!!

Thanks…I added Joseph Industries to my bookmarks folder…I watched a few you tube videos where they mentioned the seal as you did. So yeah I'm just going to replace it when the new one arrives tomorrow…what do you think about the no gasket…it really looks as though there was never a gasket there