International 444 shifter problem

/ International 444 shifter problem #1  

misfit82

Tractor
international harvester 444
I have a 444 gas international. The shifter goes from first to rev. fine and vice versa but keeps getting hung up when you go to move it over to the other gears. I took off the shifter cover and it seems as though the one fork is preventing it from operating correctly but I do not know anything about this or how to remedy it.

/ International 444 shifter problem #2  
Hope I got the right view of your shifter: Official Case IH Online Parts Store and Case IH Catalog for Best Parts Search and Best Parts Look Up. Case IH Parts for Case IH Tractors, Case IH Combines, Case IH Tractors, Case IH Manuals, Case IH Parts

Might be possible the detent ball or spring ( #'s 4 & 5) may have dropped out or is broken allowing the shift fork/rail to move/drift out of the proper position. The three notches in the rail/fork, should lock in 3 different selected positions by the detent/poppet ball & spring. Gear selected either direction, or hold it in the neutral position.

/ International 444 shifter problem
I tore the shifter apart, looks like a few of the balls are severely worn. also the one poppet/spring is not seated down in the hole. is the one spring supposed to be up like this? also, if I get all new balls and springs, how do I get the old ones out?

/ International 444 shifter problem #4  
I'm not sure if the rails will slide far enough to release the detente springs & balls or not. Don't have a book on it, and don't have a clue what holds the rails in place. Maybe partially loosen the hold downs enough to just slip the new ones in.

Not sure what would be with the one not seated, unless the spring is broke.

Might not hurt to have a spotter with you, just in case one of the new ones decides to pop out, and escape.

I was able to replace the springs and balls without too much of a problem, had to take the rails and forks completely out though. Now my big problem, and I mean big problem, is that I must of accidentally knocked the gears in the trans. out of neutral and I cannot for the life of me get the forks and to line up where they need to be. Thought I had it at one point, put everything back together and then it would only go in rev. and the higher gears only let it bog down and not even move when the releasing the clutch. I have it all back apart now but still can't seem to win this fight! Exhausting!

I got it lined up in neutral. just have to reassemble everything now and hope like **** my new gaskets that got oil on them do not leak.

/ International 444 shifter problem #7  
Glad you got it..!! Hope it fixed the problem AND doesn't leak..!! I've been using Permatex 300 liquid with the small applicator brush in places like this. Seals oils well, but comes apart amazingly easy.