international/farmall 656 help

/ international/farmall 656 help #1  

bigal3639

Tractor
International
hi guys, i am very new to this all, so please bear with me. :newhere: a family friend passed away recently, and he had a small farm in ohio that he grew and harvested hay and soybean by himself. me and another member of the family are going to do our best to keep the farm going, but we are very new at this. the main tractor he used was a international/farmall 656 gas. i am somewhat mechanically inclined, but i have never used tractors nearly this size. i just need to know how to use it, from starting it, driving, and so on. i know there is the three main levers up top, but there is also a couple down to the right of the seat, and i would greatly appreciate it if someone would help me out. its the hydro one, by the way. also, besides levers and things of that nature, is there any general but important things i need to know when operating one of these, besides being careful of course? thanks a lot, i really appreciate it.

i've included a picture of a int/farmall i found online, and ive highlighted levers that i dont know what they are for. not shown in the picture is the one to the left of the steering wheel (sitting in the seat) and the one behing the wheel. once again, thanks a lot! :wave:

international_656_farmall_hydro_tractor_8_lgw (1).jpg

/ international/farmall 656 help #2  
It has been too long and I never really was familiar with the 56 series especially the hydro.

This is one where you really need someone there to show you how to use it. Not sure where you are at in Ohio but I am only 25 miles from the line.

/ international/farmall 656 help
It has been too long and I never really was familiar with the 56 series especially the hydro.

This is one where you really need someone there to show you how to use it. Not sure where you are at in Ohio but I am only 25 miles from the line.
there are neighbors nearby who we are close with who farm that could probably show us sometime, but i just wanted a general idea if anyone was familiar with these. thanks anyway

/ international/farmall 656 help #4  
Your Case International dealer should be able to order you an owners manual. Find the data plate/serial number plate and record all information and take that with you.

/ international/farmall 656 help #5  
Does the tractor decals say its a Hydro?

Can you post some pictures of it?

/ international/farmall 656 help #6  
Make contact with the local 4H and / or the county extension office for names of Tractor Safety Course instructors near you. I am sure they would put you on the right path. Good Luck:)

/ international/farmall 656 help #7  
Hopefully this link will help you out some: Official Case IH Online Parts Store and Case IH Catalog for Best Parts Search and Best Parts Look Up. Case IH Parts for Case IH Tractors, Case IH Combines, Case IH Tractors, Case IH Manuals, Case IH Parts It shows the controls on a 656 hydro.

I have a 656, but a gear model. That is definitely a hydro model with that long shifter on the right. The one opposite on the left is a Hi-Lo lever. Mine has a Torque-Amplifier on it, but not sure if they operate the same internally. I do know my T/A will free wheel going downhill in the low side.

The longer thin handle to the right of the seat is for the hydraulic remote connections, usually mounted rearward. Apparently a single remote as there is just the one handle. If ever dual remotes are needed, you can get another flow through control valve, that goes behind that one. I put one on mine to operate the round baler. Approx. 10 years ago, that one cost me $250.00 used, but came complete with almost new hoses, mounting bolts and connects. A deal for me.

The two shorter levers operate the 3 pt. hitch. Thinking the inner one picks & lowers, and the outer sets the draft, or lift height. Should even be embossed on the quadrant shroud, frame work around the handles, as to what they do.