International 444 hydraulics quit working

/ International 444 hydraulics quit working #1  

Birch Hill Farm

Bronze Member
Tractor
International 444
I also posted this in the hydraulic section, I have an international 444 that the hydraulics suddenly quit working. Both the 3 point and auxiliary valve have ceased to function. I used it yesterday to unroll a round bale and everything was working fine, went down this afternoon to unroll some more and it wont do a thing. It did this a few times over the summer but, after a minute of run time everything would suddenly start working, this time i let it run for 20 minutes and the hydraulics were still dead. I checked the fluid level and it was maybe 8 ounces low as it does have a slow leak from somewhere in the reservoir area. Adding fluid did not help. could it be air in the lines? the pump makes no sounds indicating its working. Any advice on what to look for? Please help I need to get this working.
thanks Jon.

/ International 444 hydraulics quit working #2  
When did you last change the hydraulic filter? The suction screen can also plug up and needs cleaned periodically.

Have you ever ran a remote cylinder on another implement that a different tractor(different brand) ran? Different brands of hydraulic fluid do not mix and can turn your fluid into jelly, plugging your filter and suction screen.

/ International 444 hydraulics quit working #3  
Does it have power steering, and is it working..?? If it does, and is, possibly the flow divider poppet/bypass valve is stuck open, or spring is broke, or just weak.

/ International 444 hydraulics quit working
When did you last change the hydraulic filter? The suction screen can also plug up and needs cleaned periodically.

Have you ever ran a remote cylinder on another implement that a different tractor(different brand) ran? Different brands of hydraulic fluid do not mix and can turn your fluid into jelly, plugging your filter and suction screen.
It does no have a hydraulic filter and the fluid was changed in early spring. I did pick up a used baler but that was back in june, I would think if the fluid jelled up it would have showed up before now. It does not have power steering it just has the 3 point hitch and 1 remote valve. With the remote valve i do get the slightest movement in the bale unroller cylinder like maybe 1/4" of extension if I sit and hold the lever down.

/ International 444 hydraulics quit working #5  
Did you clean the suction screen when you changed fluid? The hydraulic filter on a IH 444 is not like most tractors. It is just below the steering wheel, in a small metal cylinder. Do you have an operators manual?

Thanks for the reply. I did not clean the suction screen, is that the same thing as the filter? I have a workshop manual for it somewhere, going to go find it now.

/ International 444 hydraulics quit working #7  
No, the suction screen is mounted in the diferential housing by your right foot. Follow the hydraulic line from the pump to the diferential housing.

You will need the manual to find and remove the hydraulic filter if you have never done it. As I said before, it is not like most tractors and readily found. Change the filter first, then if not working, clean the suction screen, You will see why. It is not real easy to remove the screen. Go slowly and carefully. You will need to drain the resevoir before removing the screen. Do not cut the hose unless you have a new hose already, it is not cheap.

I cannot find the filter, maybe it has been removed at some point? I followed the lines from the pump to where they go into the reservoir and valve body and its just hose nothing that could be a filter. I followed the bleeding procedure and had to add another couple ounces of fluid. After The bleeding procedure I walked away from the tractor and it the 3 point suddenly just went up and started working. I lowered the 3 point and took off the fill cap to check fluid level and this started pouring out.
The fluid does not look good or is it just full of air bubbles?

/ International 444 hydraulics quit working #9  
Your fluid and resevoir are contminated/dirty.

If your hydraulics are working now, go unroll your hay.

Then order A "OPERATORS MANUAL" and "PARTS BREAKDOWN MANUAL" from Case-IH for the 444 tractor. Get the hydraulic filter and new HY-TRAN fluid as well.

Your entire hydraulic system needs drained, cleaned and replaced with new, clean HY-TRAN. You need the manuals to show you the parts (Filter and suction screen) I have been trying to tell you about.

Using the manual I found the suction screen and have it removed, its 3/4 clogged with crud. There is no mention in the manual of a filter only the suction screen, it does mention a filter for some of the other similar models. Is it possible that this unit just did not come with one? Im going to flush the system, clean the screen and replace the fluid.