Transmission fluid coming pouring out of starter

/ Transmission fluid coming pouring out of starter #1  

bruce0777

Tractor
1983 540 A Ford Industrial & 1974 580 B CK Case Backhoe & 1965 ish 580 CK Case backhoe
Hello All, I have a 1974 Case 580 "B" CK backhoe 4 speed transmission with the shuttle shift 4 cylinder diesel. I just bought it and it has been sitting up for nearly two years and like most tractors it sits in the rain with a bad shifter boot and the rain just pours down the shifter lever and being there is a hole in the boot the size of a quarter the rain water just pours into transmission daily. I drained the trany fluid and removed right at 9 ( NINE ) gallons of nasty yuck fluid from tranny Should have been ( four ) 4 gallons . So I got it all cleaned out refilled with 4 gallons of new fluid and after it warmed up the gauge said I had good trany pressure and I drove it around the yard for just about 35 minutes or so and did great but I noticed tranny fluid was constantly coming out of from starter . The next day It ran the same and the starter was still leaking very bad 6 ozs a minute. It quit pulling in about 5 minutes and I checked the tranny fluid and it was empty. When I first bought this tractor I had to replace the bad starter and just grapped another case starter ( I just ordered the right starter a few days ago ) that came off a 1965 ish 580 CK backhoe..I guess my big question is, is it the wrong starter and not keeping a seal of the transmission fluid in bell housing ( which is chuck full of tranny fluid ) or is there a drain plug stopped up for the return of transmission fluid to transmission ? Or is the front seal gone on front of transmission ? Years back I replaced a starter on another shuttle shift tractor 411 B Case and it too was full of transmission fluid. Any eye opening help would be fantastic Thanks ahead of time Guys......Bruce North Carolina......

/ Transmission fluid coming pouring out of starter #2  
That's pretty wild. Is the starter mounted on the transmission itself? You really shouldn't have trans fluid coming out of the starter/ starter mount

/ Transmission fluid coming pouring out of starter #3  
You absolutely have the wrong starter!!! The 580B has a seal that keeps the hydro fluid in the bell housing. If you kept the old starter, take it and have it rblt.

/ Transmission fluid coming pouring out of starter
Wow! thank-You Eyecather that's great news. I have a new starter coming today and hope it has the gasket you mentioned if not now knowing what it needs I could make one if not provided . Every time I buy an old shuttle shift Case tractor it of course has a bad starter and I take the starter loose from the bell housing and when I look inside the bell housing it is chuck full of transmission fluid . On the old 1959 411 B case with shuttle shift I removed the starter and in the starter hole it was almost completly filled with tranny fluid in the starter hole bell housing, then I used the home made hand crank ( On the end of crank where you turn it by hand I welded a 1/2 " socket adapter on it so I could use a super long racket to turn the motor over for safety sake this makes it so when the motor starts and if by chance the hand crank end does not release from motor I will not get beat to death because of the one way turning of the ratchet ) and the motor started and we drove it around for two days while the starter was off and with the starter hole empty while the starter was in the shop being rebuilt and even though the tranny fluid was a half inch below the ring opening where the starter goes in hardly no tranny fluid came out. Simply amazing . Thanks again Eyecather thrilled in N.C.

/ Transmission fluid coming pouring out of starter #5  
Bruce - it is not a gasket, it's an internal oil seal, and it has to be the right starter in order to have that seal. If you bought a starter for a "B" it'll have that seal.

/ Transmission fluid coming pouring out of starter
Okay..... I got you. I just got the starter minutes ago Thanks again