Case 1816B Uniloader engine question....

/ Case 1816B Uniloader engine question.... #1  

barefootmule

Tractor
john deere 2010
Hi Y'all!

I recently acquired a (1979) Case 1816B Uniloader but I'm having problems identifying the engine, in doing the research and according to the serial #, the engine should be a Tecumseh, well, it's not. In doing more research, it looks like it could be an Onan, but then yesterday, in talking to my lawnmower mechanic and showing him a picture of it, he's says "it looks like a Kohler" and then he proceeded to show me an old Kohler motor that he had and the dang thing looks identical to the one in my Case. There are no tags or plates on this engine and "I've searched the world over..." and still have not found any stamped or otherwise identification numbers. So my question is, does anybody know of a specific location on this motor that I can find the model, serial #? It's pretty gunked up with grease/dirt, etc. and I do plan on removing it to clean it up, but I have checked all the places I (and my lawnmower mechanic mentioned) thought the number would be and have had no luck. I did find a number 52567 R13 4L but I think that is just the part # for the piece it was on. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20140127_120656_820.jpg
    IMG_20140127_120656_820.jpg
    598.3 KB · Views: 1,906
  • IMG_20140127_120706_758.jpg
    IMG_20140127_120706_758.jpg
    596.4 KB · Views: 1,206
   / Case 1816B Uniloader engine question....
oops, I think I should clarify, there is the serial # tag/plate on the Case itself, that according to the specs I've looked up and according to the year built, should have the Tecumseh motor. My comment was referring to the engine itself and not being able to locate a "stamped" model or serial #. I basically can't and won't be buying any parts for this engine until I'm 100% sure of what it is, hence, the great appreciation for any and all help!

/ Case 1816B Uniloader engine question.... #3  
That looks a lot like the Magnum 18 Kohler in my Bobcat 450. Got the OP manual out, and shows the engine tag, on the top left, around on the side of the engine shroud. Just about level with the lower oil cooler hose.

I'd suggest something like Dawn dish detergent to clean it off, because if I remember right, it's a foil type stick on tag, and ink printed info. Carb, or brake cleaner may take the print off.

I did a quick check at Case Construction, and it shows the "C" series with a twin cylinder, but no mfg. name of engine, just a Case part number. Didn't Google the part number to see what came up either...

Might be a late model B, or a PO upgraded to the new series engine, if the Tecumseh had pups...

Thanks DJ54, but there is no tag whatsoever on any of the shrouds, I've checked and triple checked those areas to the point of imagining I see numbers in the gunk! hahaha! And thanks for mentioning the Dawn detergent, I've been hunting a good and thorough "degreaser" that wouldn't take the paint/ink off. As soon as I take the motor out, I'm going to pressure wash it first, with just plain water to see what comes off, then hit the other areas with a paint/tooth brush and mild detergent as you suggested. At this point, I think my only option is to find it stamped on the block somewhere. I'm no mechanic, but have tinkered with a wide variety of small engines, but this one has got me baffled at how hard it is to locate the "stamp".

/ Case 1816B Uniloader engine question.... #5  
I guess your next option would to be looking for part numbers. Should be one on the cross manifold on top. Write the number down, then type it into a search engine such as Google, and see what comes up. Cylinder heads, block, anything you can find a part number cast into it.

Well, looks like it's definitely a Kohler, either an 18 or 20. I took it to my lawnmower mechanic and together, more him than me, actually all him! hahaha! confirmed it was a Kohler. Still no #'s. Spent all weekend getting it ready and now it's up and running! My next question is what is the fluid capacity for the hydraulics? I've read where it calls for 10-W40 and but I haven't found the actual capacity other than people saying, "just fill it to the full mark". Don't have the service and parts manual yet, but do plan on ordering one soon. Thanks again for the help!

/ Case 1816B Uniloader engine question.... #7  
Don't have a clue as to the exact capacity, but just a comparison to my 450 Bobcat which is about the same size. Just checked my OP manual, and it holds 4.0 gal.

/ Case 1816B Uniloader engine question.... #8