B414 rescue

/ B414 rescue #1  

ShawnRich

Tractor
IH B414
I often end up at forums to see what other people do to resolve an issue, or just to enjoy seeing what others are working on. This is probably like you if you are reading this. :)

So I thought I should return the favour by posting my build up/recovery/save of this old tractor. Not saying I did everything the way it should be done, just showing how I did it. I probably got some ideas from forums like this so the circle continues....

This is one big "catch up" post as I have been working on it for a few months, meaning to get around to doing this thread. Then hopefully, we can settle in to asking the questions when it comes to tractor stuff that I know I will need to ask.

Sooo, I want to do some landscaping (landscraping more like it...remove weeds and get a lawn). I decided that with the vast array of implements available for a tractor, I should get one..:licking:..any excuse....I have never owned one so if you hear a stupid comment or question....yea, I plead ignorance.

Through a wanted ad on the local Kijiji, I found one the guy wanted the price of scrap for. It seemed sad to send this baby to the crusher (a diesel to a crusher....? ) when it could be had for the price of scrap metal weight and a small towing fee. They say "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and I see a gleaming new functioning machine. (My wife does not see things the same way... ) :confused:

If you visit other forums, you might have seen it. I decided to post most here as it seems the most active forum I have seen. If you guys cannot answer my questions, then I am asking it wrong. :laughing:

The clincher was that it had a loader frame with it

Last edited:
   / B414 rescue
So, first of all, I replaced the diesel fuel, filters and primed it all. A diesel mechanic friend came over to make sure I was doing it all right. We were not able to start it right away and I was good with that as in the back of my mind, I thought maybe I should change the oil first in case it actually starts. Out comes a gallon (literally) of water first. ( I thought the level was a little high on the dipstick!) So I decided to pull the oil pan off, and assess.....crank and lower cylinders, etc, all looked pristine so no damage done, ....back at it. I did find a lot of "crud" so pulling the oil pan was good move, IMHO. Peace of mind if nothing else.

I did get it started later (for a couple of seconds as it had no coolant in it at the time) Next was to get into the rad ( which had been precariously perched on some wooden pieces.)
Flushed it out, tested and found one leak, made and attached a bracket with some mounting studs, and remounted. All good

Last edited:
   / B414 rescue
I like the sound of a running diesel. :cool2: Puttering over the next little while, I found it hard to start, always needing to recharge the battery, ie, crank, crank, crank, recharge, try again, etc.

I stopped at a shop and chatted with a mechanic with a lot of International experience. He said that those engines always want the glow plugs on to start, even in the summer. So, despite the fact it was in a heated shop, I needed them. That lead to electrical stuff. Wiring was a mess to say the least. Lots of "field repairs", lots disconnected. The majority of wiring in a machine like this is the lighting stuff and I had no lights! The glow plugs all checked ok, although I cannot say I am a fan of having the high current flow up into the dash to light an element, then back into the engine compartment to series connected glow plugs. However, it is what it is and until I have to service them, I will use them. I am still in a state of "how much do I want to invest" when mechanically, it could be not worth what I have invested.

This all lead to the new control panel and gauges

The lighting switch was no good so I left it out, opting for toggles later when I get around to putting lights in. I also left out the fuse holder and installed one in the engine compartment. I had to relocate the ignition switch due to a conflict with the back of the new gauges .....so if the panel does not look right to those of you familiar with it, yea I changed some things. One note is it is a little awkward now to crank it (key switch on left) and hold the starter engage lever down (again, left side), which I guess I could do with my foot. We will see what habits develop. ....

But!!! with glow plug circuit working, it starts before battery going dead! Sounds good. At this point, it all looks promising. I drive it out of the shop, warmed it up, operated the 3 pt hitch and pulled it back into the shop. I skipped the part about finding water in the transmission too! Yea, changed it all out. Cannot find any major cracks (we hit -20C or F here in the winter and I do not know when this water appeared in this machine or how long it sat in the field) so unitl I find a reason to stop throwing money and time at this machine, I will keep forging ahead. It does not matter....shop time is happy time. :)

Last edited:
   / B414 rescue
One little repair that was rewarding....the left floor pan mount was broken (cast into side of transmission housing) I resolved this by using an accessory mount (drilled and tapped) also cast into the transmisssion. Not sure what would mount there....maybe a mid mount implement? For now, it made a fine support for the floor pan.

One hole was stipped so I did not put a bolt in. I think the 5 other bolts should hold up......;-) A little overkill but .....

At this point, it sill all looks promising. I drive it out of the shop, warmed it up, operated the 3 pt hitch and pulled it back into the shop. I have good oil pressure and engine sounds good (from what I know.....)

Last edited:
   / B414 rescue
If you are still reading, Thanks. Nice to know I am not typing for nothing. ;-) I found that hoods for those units are kind of hard to find, at least, around here. I did find one in Southern Ontario (16 hours away) and it looked kind of rough. After shipping, it would be more than what I paid for the whole machine, but the machine needs a hood before my wife sees it. :eek:

Google "dent repair" or similar and off I go. I still had some tools from body work on my first car. Watched some youtube, and succumbed to some filler (which I swore I would not use) I also had to retack weld a support which the whole hood pivots on and also turn some bushings for the pivots. The screens ended up being "Eavestrough screening. I like the look and the original "perforated sheet metal" is not too easily located (in reasonable quantities)

I am not sure what I am going to do with the front yet. The old screening is pretty beat up but we will get there. For now, other priorities.

Last edited:
   / B414 rescue
So now, looking at a few issues, The charging system....short story, generator puts out but regulator too corroded to be saved. Tried a few alternators but ended up with a "Single wire" alternator today that fits under the hood, if I can make a compact mounting bracket for it. I am looking forward to that but started a kichen renovation today so progress on the B414 might be slowing for awhile. :)

However, that said, something to think about while I tear out cabinets is...... I also started at looking at the loader frame the other day. Since half of it is missing from the machine, I need to fabricate something. Another friend was over and he convinced me to replace it all (except for the heavy cross piece)

This is the new post, 4x4x.1675 with 3/16 material for the brackets.

I need to decide what to do with the rest of the frame. This is where I am at so hopefully, can get some input here. I have 2 1/2" x 0.250 square tubing and 2x3x.25 tubing. I want to replace the horizontal piece with the 2x3 (figure box is better than the 4" channel that is in there now) but I have to figure out how to transition from the 4x4 upright to the 2x3 horizontal. I am thinking some heavy, well welded shims....like 5/16" . For the diagonal, currently about 2 1/2" x 1/8"? (I forget the gauge exactly but it is close to that) I would consider cutting the square 1/4" wall tubing in half and using each half for the diagonals. Sound close enough? I think the extra wall thickness makes up for the slightly smaller dimension....? I could also split the 2x3 or use more of it and still get a 1 3/4 x 3 channel ....just means using more material or would it be overkill? I would like to use up some of what I have. I have been stepping over the 2x3x 17 feet piece for a year now.....lol

Last edited:
   / B414 rescue #9  
Very interesting thread to follow. Keep it up!

/ B414 rescue #10  
Way to go--nice resto job.
I have something of an interest in the IH B414. Evidently in the 1960s, IH licensed Mahindra to build the B414 in India. This got Mahindra into the larger size tractors and, as they say, the rest is history. According to their ads Mahindra now is the largest tractor maker by volume in the world. I bought a new Mahindra 5525 in 2008--nice, simple, big, heavy tractor.