new to tractors - IH 606, fast hitch/

/ new to tractors - IH 606, fast hitch/ #1  

Jon O

Tractor
IH 606
New to tractors, but am looking to buy this 1964 IH 606. Can anyone tell me if this "knuckle" is part of the fast hitch system, is it for the top bar?

Thanks,
Jon

ih606cx.jpg

/ new to tractors - IH 606, fast hitch/ #2  
It has to be part of it. How about a close up shot.

/ new to tractors - IH 606, fast hitch/
Here is picture off another tractor-

other hitch.jpg

/ new to tractors - IH 606, fast hitch/ #4  
Notice the last picture has 3 point ball arms in the Fast Hitch lower arms. That top clevis is probably for converting and using 3 point hook up. Normal Fast Hitch only used the lower lock-in arms.

/ new to tractors - IH 606, fast hitch/ #5  
It looks to me like the place to hook the top link for a 3pt hitch conversion. Hopefully a fast hitch expert will kow for sure.

yeah, that second picture is not of my (soon to be) tractor, but the one I'm looking at doesnt have the ball arms, but does have the top clevis

/ new to tractors - IH 606, fast hitch/ #7  
Being you could get either as shown in the pictures, that is the hook up for the top link. You can get the slide in tong type 3 pt. arms, or a regular 3 point conversion that has a bail across the top with it's own top link. Or, find a salvaged 606 with 3 pt., and change it out.

The tong type conversion are much more reasonable in price, but you'll probably need the long top link. I know I had to get one for my Super C. Even with that, seems you don't get the geometry of a true 3 pt. hitch. If it's lifted as high as the FH in the first picture, the tail end of the implement will drop after a certain point of lifting. On the other hand, one of the great things about Fast Hitch is, it has down pressure. That would be pretty handy on a tractor that size if you had a HD blade, and grading.

If you do get it, keep on the look out for FH implements. They usually bring less money, as that's all they fit. There are two category's to the Fast Hitch implements. The smaller one is for Super C's. My 240 has the larger one. There's something like a 1/8" to 3/16 difference in height of the prong. We made spacers to slide in on the bottom of the female part on the tractor out of flat strap, with a turned down tang to keep it from sliding on through. There is a nub sticking down on the prongs, that stops it from going in too far. I can use my Su C's implements on the 240 if I want to.

Thanks Guys- I wil admit to fretting over the purchase (as I don't really know what I'm doing- having a 3 point usable option is good!