Tier 3 emissions?

/ Tier 3 emissions? #1  

F3506

Silver Member
Tractor
Blue ones
Saw a post in another section here that said ask the Case/IH guys about Tier 3 emissions like it was something beyond terrible. So what's the story here? Something I should try to avoid? I'm in the market for a gently used tractor with a cab in the 70 - 85 pto hp range and don't want to get something that's just going to be a problem or frustration.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. I do have a good Case dealer nearby for parts/service/support so this is one of the brands on my short list.

/ Tier 3 emissions? #2  
I'm guessing you are looking at a brand new tractor?

/ Tier 3 emissions? #3  
I am not sure of what problems your source is referencing? Tier 3 emissions are not a problem on nearly all off road diesel engines. On the off chance that there was an EGR malfunction on a machine I can see a frustrated customer, but I'm sure it would be an isolated incident.

/ Tier 3 emissions?
Not looking at new, as I understand they are Tier 4 now. I don't remember the guys name here, he just made the offhand comment about Tier 4 engines being great and all the problems with Tier 3 engines (just ask the Case IH guys). So I thought I would ask before I bought something since Case is high up on the dealer support in my area.

/ Tier 3 emissions? #5  
Case, Deere, Kubota etc. all use nearly the same emissions equipment on the smaller engines. Typically an EGR with DPF filter for tier 4, Tier 3 was primarily just EGR. The Tier 4 final has been an overcomplicated mess on higher HP engines, Case being the most simple and effective solution with SCR only systems. This could have been where the comment stemmed from.

/ Tier 3 emissions?
Case, Deere, Kubota etc. all use nearly the same emissions equipment on the smaller engines. Typically an EGR with DPF filter for tier 4, Tier 3 was primarily just EGR. The Tier 4 final has been an overcomplicated mess on higher HP engines, Case being the most simple and effective solution with SCR only systems. This could have been where the comment stemmed from.

Thank you. So if tier 3 was basically just EGR, then that would mean fuel economy wouldn't be terrible. Do the tractors run an EGR cooler like a truck does? If so, I'm guessing the same issues will show up here too.