Case 585 differential lock

/ Case 585 differential lock #1  

ARAYT

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 1700, Ford 750 TLB, Case 585
Having problems locking rear end. Got tractor stuck and diff would not lock. Any idea what would cause this? Have only had tractor a few months. Had to jack and pull for about three hours to get tractor out. Would have been easier with both wheel pulling. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Ray

/ Case 585 differential lock #2  
Did you look to see if the linkage is free & working..?? If it is, more than likely the pins are sheared on the locking collar, that locks the differential. Hopefully this link will carry through from Case/IH online parts book. Look for parts 11 & 12. Official Case IH Online Parts Store and Case IH Catalog for Best Parts Search and Best Parts Look Up. Case IH Parts for Case IH Tractors, Case IH Combines, Case IH Tractors, Case IH Manuals, Case IH Parts

Has the differential lock ever worked..?? The differential lock is NOT to be engaged while the wheels are spinning. If a tire starts to spin, stop, engage diffy lock, then proceed to move again. You should feel the pins engage, and wheels will stay locked, until you release the lock. To disengage, change, or stop direction of travel, decelerate with foot off the pedal to release it. If you look in the exploded view of the differential, you will notice two springs on the locking collar to do that.

It appears the pins are replaceable, if that is the case, and there is no damage to the locking collar.

They are designed to be the weak link in the assembly. Better to shear those pins, than damaging the other components of the differential.

Years ago, a buddy of mine turned his 4020 JD over to a younger fellow to give him a break from moldboard plowing, for supper. He told him about a wet spot in the field, and would probably have to use the diffy lock to pull through it. He assumed he knew to stop to engage it. Nope..., apparently not. Cleaned the teeth on the ring & pinion, after repeatedly engaging the lock while spinning, costing him quite a bit of money in repairs, plus a week of down time.

You can also divert power to the other wheel by feathering the brake on the spinning wheel, if your brakes are in good working order. It's a little easier on things, than throwing all of that torque on those little pins all at once.

/ Case 585 differential lock #3  
We had a 584 and 585. If someone big has stood on the pedal with the pins not aligned it damages the linkage. Was such a pain to get the diff locks engaged we didn't bother. So glad our MF is on a toggle switch.

/ Case 585 differential lock
Did you look to see if the linkage is free & working..?? If it is, more than likely the pins are sheared on the locking collar, that locks the differential. Hopefully this link will carry through from Case/IH online parts book. Look for parts 11 & 12. Official Case IH Online Parts Store and Case IH Catalog for Best Parts Search and Best Parts Look Up. Case IH Parts for Case IH Tractors, Case IH Combines, Case IH Tractors, Case IH Manuals, Case IH Parts

Has the differential lock ever worked..?? The differential lock is NOT to be engaged while the wheels are spinning. If a tire starts to spin, stop, engage diffy lock, then proceed to move again. You should feel the pins engage, and wheels will stay locked, until you release the lock. To disengage, change, or stop direction of travel, decelerate with foot off the pedal to release it. If you look in the exploded view of the differential, you will notice two springs on the locking collar to do that.

It appears the pins are replaceable, if that is the case, and there is no damage to the locking collar.

They are designed to be the weak link in the assembly. Better to shear those pins, than damaging the other components of the differential.

Years ago, a buddy of mine turned his 4020 JD over to a younger fellow to give him a break from moldboard plowing, for supper. He told him about a wet spot in the field, and would probably have to use the diffy lock to pull through it. He assumed he knew to stop to engage it. Nope..., apparently not. Cleaned the teeth on the ring & pinion, after repeatedly engaging the lock while spinning, costing him quite a bit of money in repairs, plus a week of down time.

You can also divert power to the other wheel by feathering the brake on the spinning wheel, if your brakes are in good working order. It's a little easier on things, than throwing all of that torque on those little pins all at once.
Thanks DJ54, I,m not sure if it ever worked. I've only had the tractor a few months. I know you need to stop to engage. Thanks for the link!! I believe the linkage is ok but boy it ha s stiff spring. Takes a ton of pressure to push lever down. Is there an easy way to test it with out causing damage? Thanks again. Ray

/ Case 585 differential lock #5  
Could be it just lacks lubrication in the right places. The one on my Case hoe was frozen up, where the shaft went through the housing when I got it. Took it apart, buffed up & applied never-seize to that particular spot, & lube all other joints. Works like new, and just touching it with your toe engages it now.