IH866 radiator fan bearings\Case IH parts website

/ IH866 radiator fan bearings\Case IH parts website #1  

cjfling

Silver Member
While disking I heard a whine from the engine compartment and when I stopped to check it, I could see the radiator fan slightly wobbling like the bearings are going out. I lowered the throttle and the sound went away. I stopped the engine and inspected the fan to find I could wiggle it back and forth (the wrong direction) about a quarter to half an inch. After restart the whine went away, but the wiggle remained. Someone told me I can replace the fan bearings without replacing the water pump? I looked on the CASE IH parts website for a diagram and part number only to find there in no information about the engine on the part website. Every other system is diagramed there except the engine. My owners and abbreviated shop manual don't show anything on the bearings. Someone told me the engine might not be actually made by IH and so they don't show those diagrams. I can't find anything in the books to confirm/deny that.

1. Am I missing something on the parts website?
2. Do you know if it is possible to replace the bearings without the water pump?
3. Any instructions on the procedure or a diagram?
4. Part number of bearings?

Thanks in advance for the help!

/ IH866 radiator fan bearings\Case IH parts website #2  
Tried that a couple of times! Ruined as many cores in the press trying to dismantle the water pump to get to the bearing!!!! Found it better to not try!

/ IH866 radiator fan bearings\Case IH parts website
Forgive me for asking as I'm a newbie, but when you order the water pump, it come with the fan connections\bearing altogether. You just have to bolt on the fan?

Thx

Tried that a couple of times! Ruined as many cores in the press trying to dismantle the water pump to get to the bearing!!!! Found it better to not try!

/ IH866 radiator fan bearings\Case IH parts website #4  
Yes, that simple.

You have any idea why the engine doesn't show up on the diagrams on the Case IH parts website? Also, do you know if IH made this D358 engine or was it another manufacturer?

After quite a mess, I got the water pump off. I had to remove the radiator as expected and then when taking the fan off, one bolt twisted off. I guess after 33 years stuff is rusted up :laughing:. I was able to slip a wrench behind the pulley and access the water pump bolt while the fan/pulley was still attached. Now I have to figure out how to separate the fan/pulley from the old water pump. I'll also have to drill out the threads on that one fan bolt from the water pump side.

/ IH866 radiator fan bearings\Case IH parts website #7  
Just so you know... On later models, or just ones that used the same engine, when searching for engine parts, search by the engine, not the tractor. And, when searching for the engine, enter it such as yours, D-358. Be sure and put the hyphen in there, or it will not show it.

Awesome! That is exactly what I needed. I've never had to do that with other manufactures. Wonder why the dealer couldn't tell me that. I probably would have bought some parts through him for the favor. Thanks for your help.

Just so you know... On later models, or just ones that used the same engine, when searching for engine parts, search by the engine, not the tractor. And, when searching for the engine, enter it such as yours, D-358. Be sure and put the hyphen in there, or it will not show it.

Last edited:
I wasn't able to drill out the threads on the backside of the fan b\c I couldn't get to it. Over 3 days my father-in-law help me with it. We tried several runs of PB Blaster and another penetrator called S'OK that comes in a little green can. I've found that S'OK is the best, but I try to save it as it was was more expensive than PB. However, I didn't even help either. We then banged on it, chisels, and heated although we were worried about messing up the fans mount as it seemed like aluminum. He ended up welding a new head on the bolt and using an air gun to get it off. I never thought a weld would work, but it did. I got the aftermarket water pump installed. It came with a new gasket, and I went ahead and applied some Permatex on both sides of the gasket. I've just received the last hoses I think I need and hopefully this weekend I'll get it all back together!

/ IH866 radiator fan bearings\Case IH parts website #10  
Not sure whay some dealers do that. Guess they want you to be at their mercy. If you do that search through Messicks: Messick's | Dealer for New Holland, Case IH, Kubota, Cub Cadet and More | Online Parts, Sales & Service., it will also show you the price of parts.

For a great homemade penetrate, mix ATF & Acetone in a 50/50 mix. I mix it up in a dish soap squirt bottle. Handy to get it where you need it, and snap the top shut so the Acetone doesn't flash away. MUCH better than PB Blaster & Kroil, and less expensive..!!