Just purchased an IH 3444 from ebay

/ Just purchased an IH 3444 from ebay #11  
I don't know if this will help, but Komatsu bought out Dresser, which bought out IH Industrial Equipment. Here is a link to Komatsu https://www.mykomatsu.com/authfiles/login.aspx that by registering may, I say may..., at least get you to a parts catalog. I didn't go any further than this, as I don't have any reason to. But thought I'd forward it on if you care to try.

From looking at a few of the picture from the auction site, and seeing the large hoses coming from the loader control valves, it appears the return lines go in under the seat on the right side. That would tell me the reservoir for the hydraulics is in the diffy housing. I did see a fill plug on the trans cover, but no dipstick like on my 656. Doesn't seem to be any pictures at the right angle to see one either.

I suppose until you get some manuals, you could look for a dipstick of some sort, or check plug on the side of the rear end/trans. housing. I'd even be tempted to stick a clean rod, or something down through the fill plug hole, and get some oil on it. Just make sure it's long enough, so as not to drop inside. With that style shifter, and if it has set outside much, they do have a tendency to take on water.

/ Just purchased an IH 3444 from ebay
So you think the square plug to the left of the shifter (in that one pic) is the fill plug. I thought it may be also. Sure I can try to check it out with a clean rod of welding wire or something. See what comes up. If that's the fill where do you think the drain plug is? Also where would the filter for it be located? Someone also mentioned 2 pumps and the shuttle valve might combine the strength of the 2 pumps? So many questions ...sorry.

I'm in need of manuals so where am I looking for the proper plate to get my model # off of?

One last question. In the front right side of my diesel engine there is what someone thought was the manual fuel shutoff. Right behind that is a dipstick for engine oil I guess. It's dark black oil and looks like 10w30 or 10w40 perhaps. I would like to change the oil in this and replace filters. What weight oil would I use in this puppy?

/ Just purchased an IH 3444 from ebay #13  
The drain plug is usually in the lowest point of the differential. More than likely, the same style plug.

A good quality 15w40 oil suitable for diesels should be fine. I use Shell Rotella in my Case diesel hoe. I didn't look close enough to see if it had a spin on filter, or cartridge type. Either way it should have a number on it. NAPA should be able to cross it for you.

Well I tried posting in the Construction Equipment forum but got nothing in response. I'm going to try here again. I figured out what the shuttle valve under the left side of the seat does. It's the POWER STEERING!!! Pulling the knob forward turns the power steering on and then pushing it back takes the power steering off. I imagine that this can be done to conserve hydraulic power when you are using the backhoe. The power steering is so nice it's amazing how easy it is to turn with that on. So I'm rather excited about that.

Also I found all of the filters: Engine Oil filter, Air Filter, Hydraulic Oil and fuel filters. I am going to remove them and see if I can get replacements at Messick's Farm Equipment. It will also give me a chance to check the hydraulic fluid. I also believe I found the fill and drain plugs for that.

So I think this is the engine Oil filter 0506141943.jpg

And I think these are the two fuel filters 0506141944a.jpg

I forgot to get a pic of the Hydraulic Fluid filter but it appears to be located behind the right upper support arm of the loader. you can just see a tiny bit of it's edge under the I in International on the side of the arm in this pic.
0506142001aa.jpg

I believe the fill for the hydraulic fluid is right where my left foot goes when I'm driving the loader. The drain appears to be almost directly under that centered on the chassis of the tractor. Does this sound right? I'll take pics tomorrow if I can.

quick question for you guys. Which position will provide the most breakout force on my bucket. Currently as you see the pin is in the furthest position and I assume this is the most powerful position. But my neighbor thinks that moving it in to the closer setting would provide more power. Please let me know. 2014_0510_140956.jpg

/ Just purchased an IH 3444 from ebay #16  
I'm not sure there's that much difference in the position, for breakout force. The reason for the two holes, is, the position it is in now, will let you curl the bucket closer to the stick. Handy for when loading trucks, or piling overburden in a high pile. The other position would let you uncurl the bucket further, if you wanted to dig back under something, or into a bank, making a sheer wall.

If your digging, it's probably best to have the teeth on the bucket pointing pretty much forward. Lots more penetrating psi on the cutting edges of the teeth & bucket, than across the face, with the teeth pointing down. I've seen bottoms ripped out of worn buckets doing that. Teeth straight down is OK for crumbing out a ditch, or needing some raking action.

And looks like the pivot pin for the bucket is coming out in that pic, or the wrong pin, being not long enough.... If you pull hard enough on this side, it could spread the top of the bucket at the mounting.

Your main breakout force is actually on the stick. And you'll notice more, when it breaks over the vertical center point, when bringing it in. So you're better to make short, close strokes, and move a couple/few times if needed. If you're trying to gather the root debris, etc. to clamp between the bucket & stick, you're better off to have the pins where they are located.

/ Just purchased an IH 3444 from ebay #17  
go to your International dealer,i have a industrial 2500 Loader Tractor,the farm version is international 574 same tractor but industrial is built heavier.
The front loader bucket is trashed, I don't know if I can weld it enough to fix it. But that's fine. I'm more worried about the other things like the hydraulics for the backhoe and the bucket not being even 1/3 or 1/4 as strong as I would think it should be. In searching on the net I found some references to things I might check for:
IH 3444 backhoe pilot relief valve question - IH Construction Equipment - Red Power Magazine Community

Sounds like I may have a similar issue, so I'm going to try to contact that guy and see if he can help me. Do any of you have experience with the Pilot Relief Valve in your tractors? Might this be my issue?

One more thing. Yes I am going to try to get manuals but until I do, I have no idea where to even look for the Hydraulic tank. Where is it located, how is it filled and checked? I can't look to see if it's "Milky" if I don't know where it is?! I have a lot to learn about this new toy.

Also still waiting on any insight as to what the shuttle valve under my seat does? It's in my pics above. I can't seem to detect any difference in operation no matter what position I have it in.

DJ54 thank you for your comments on the bucket. I will look to see if I need a new pin. I have no idea what it needs or doesn't need yet. I'm still working on finding all the grease zerks and replacing a few.

Deerseeker001, from my pics can you tell if mine might be an IH 3444 or were you saying mine looked like your 2500? I have a local dealer: Messicks. They are great, but this is just an old tractor and there is little help in identifying what exactly it is. Where do they usually have the main plate with the model and serial number? Messicks told me to try looking under the hood, because I can't seem to find it anywhere else on the tractor. All I know is that it was sold on ebay as a 3444. I do know it has a 3140 backhoe and a 3000 loader. But I'm trying to find filters for this puppy and it's proving challenging.

/ Just purchased an IH 3444 from ebay #19  
did you try Napa auto parts they have my filters.what i was trying to explain to you the international farm dealer wont have a clue about your int3444 but if you can find out farm version of that model then they will help you with filters or parts. I found out from a guy that repairs Tractors for a living.int 2500 same as int 574 same animal.I now go in the dealership and tell them i need parts for int 574 then i have no problems.its like going in and saying giving me a starter for a GMC same as a Chevrolet.

I will try Napa. My plan right now is to pull the filters and get model #'s off of them. Napa is probably a lot cheaper than Messicks so I will definitely try that. Regarding industrial vs farm models, it does seem like Messicks has the industrial stuff or they can get it for me. So I'm not worried about that ...if I can find the model I should be set.

So what's the best location to check on my tractor for this information plate that I'm looking for so desperately?