Tracing down a miss on a international 444

/ Tracing down a miss on a international 444 #1  

Birch Hill Farm

Bronze Member
Tractor
International 444
Im trying to trace down an engine miss at low and mid throttle. At full rpm it runs smooth and still seems to have plenty of power . The problem seems to have developed over the winter as all last year it ran perfectly. Things replaced so far are plugs, cap and rotor button. Last year I put on an electronic ignition module which replaced the points and condenser and also replaced the coil with a higher voltage unit that was recommended for the ignition module. So, Im looking for advice on which direction to go and what problems tend to cause low and mid throttle miss but not at full throttle. Not sure if I need to be focusing on fuel delivery, which is provided by an aftermarket inline fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator or be looking at the electronic ignition module put on new last year. Any thoughts on tracing this down are greatly appreciated.

/ Tracing down a miss on a international 444 #2  
Throw some wires on it yet?

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet

/ Tracing down a miss on a international 444
Thanks for the replys. Ill try that, It seems the only ones I can find are cheap cut to fit ones.

/ Tracing down a miss on a international 444 #5  
Thanks for the replys. Ill try that, It seems the only ones I can find are cheap cut to fit ones.

Not sure how original you want to go, but you could buy a set of V-8 wires from the auto parts store and use the ones closest to the length you need. Any easy check of the wires is to start it up after nightfall with no lights nearby and watch for electricity jumping around from the wires.

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet

I have a set of msd wires I salvaged from my wrecked cobra I may give those a try and see if they fit.

msd wires a no go, uses post on distributor. It looks like the wires on my toyota pickup are about the right length and configuration, Ill try a set of those.

/ Tracing down a miss on a international 444 #8  
Sounds like the carb needs adjusted...if it has a coil it's gas.

Put on new wires and it made no difference. Im thinking fuel related as well, I have no idea how to adjust a carb.

/ Tracing down a miss on a international 444 #10  
Book says warm it up...turn idle adjusting screw till it smooths out. Not the throttle idle screw where the throttle is the other screw. If you have to start over turn it in until it just bottoms out and back it out one turn for a starting point. After you get that adjusted to where it's running ok adjust the throttle speed with the other screw if you have to.