IH 424 Diesel BD154 Oil Over Full

/ IH 424 Diesel BD154 Oil Over Full #1  

dieselscout80

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45DA
What is mostly likely the cause of the engine oil level being over full (yes the oil looks diluted)?

1. Hydraulic pump seal leaking and allowing hydraulic oil into the engine.

2. Fuel system leaking fuel into the engine?

The coolant level is not going down and the oil shows no sign of antifreeze in it.

It does need the hydraulic fluid filled often, but when I went to use it today after using quite a while the night before the hydraulic fluid was still full, but the engine oil level was high.

I was thinking it was the hydraulic pump, but when the hydraulic oil was still full this evening I got to wondering about diesel in the oil.

There is a gasket (#3 in first pic) between the injection pump and the engine, but there is also a seal ( see 2nd post #7 in first pic) on the injection pump behind the timing gear.

Attachments

• WP_002889.jpg
    WP_002889.jpg
    432.5 KB · Views: 448
  • WP_002885.jpg
    WP_002885.jpg
    464.8 KB · Views: 350
   / IH 424 Diesel BD154 Oil Over Full #2  
If you have diesel in your oil then it could also be a lift pump leak. If there is enough diesel in the oil you should be able to smell it on the dipstick.

/ IH 424 Diesel BD154 Oil Over Full #3  
Pic no 2 part no 7 your problem call in the experts ....or remove inj pump and take it in for repairs ......that gasket in pic nio 1 only for leaks to the outside......check scribblemarks on pumpflange for correct timing .

/ IH 424 Diesel BD154 Oil Over Full #4  
Loose mountingbolts of liftpump ....not the pipes....and pump by hand to see if pump is leaking fuel

/ IH 424 Diesel BD154 Oil Over Full
The fuel system on this IH 424 is gravity feed an therefore doesn't have a lift pump separate from the injection pump.

If it is #7 on 2nd pic then yes it needs to go to a injection pump shop.

/ IH 424 Diesel BD154 Oil Over Full
I sent off for a oil sample kit, so its a waiting game.