How to use the T/A

/ How to use the T/A #1  

ebeyl

Tractor
IHC 706
Just wondering how to use a T/A. when do you move the lever and when is the lever in T/A or DIRECT DRIVE?

/ How to use the T/A #2  
I am not a International Harvester fan, but I believe you leave it in Direct Drive and use the T/A to increase the torque.

/ How to use the T/A #3  
The T/A will get you through a tough spot when plowing, etc. without having to downshift the main transmission. The shift lever in the forward position is direct drive. Do be aware some models will free wheel, when in the T/A mode, if going down hill.

As someone mentioned in another post concerning T/A's, is to not use it as a brake, if it's free wheeling in the low side.

Very seldom do I use it on my 656, but there are times I have for a short period of time. We've had the tractor for 25 years or so, and so far no problems with it.

/ How to use the T/A #4  
I run my 1066 and 1086 thousands of hours in torque position it gave me a ground speed I liked . Pull it in without hesitation then go back to direct smoothly but gently to avoid lurching .
The only time I would shift continually was when I was combining that was my variable speed and if I paid close attention I could even change gears and keep rolling without stopping

/ How to use the T/A #5  
To use the full name Torque Amplifier it pretty much says when to use it. At times when you lack power to accomplish what you are doing.
You are correct that to use as a brake is totally wrong!