Ressurected 580CK, sticky power steering, blowing out pump

/ Ressurected 580CK, sticky power steering, blowing out pump #1  

AKBarratt

Tractor
Homebrew Chevy and Kubota B7100(formerly), 69 Case 580ck
I recently picked up a 69'ish 580ck, diesel, that had been sitting for about 15 years. Guy I bought it from had it started, topped fluids and sold it to me for $1500.

A couple hyd leaks stopped after driving it home, but...

The power steering was smooth for about 10 minutes, after which it seemed to stick in the center. As in drive straight, and when you want to turn it takes a bit of effort to initiate the turn, sometimes wanting to continue turning on its own. About the same time it starts to coat the inside of the loader frame with fluid on the right side. Looks like it coming from the cap vent on the steering pump. I think he used ATF to top up steering. Is this wrong?

I drove it 5 miles home.

/ Ressurected 580CK, sticky power steering, blowing out pump #2  
some tractors just take 2 oils, one oil for engine itself, then another oil for everything else.

i think ya got bigger issues than type of fluid.

1500 seems rather painfully cheap. i would think there are some major problems with tractor. and reason for setting for 15 years.

/ Ressurected 580CK, sticky power steering, blowing out pump
Yeah, seasonal home for the family now, grown kids cleaning out the old shop type of thing.

/ Ressurected 580CK, sticky power steering, blowing out pump #4  
If the engine and transmission is in good shape, hydraulics and power steering are fairly inexpensive to fix. It could be the bargain of the year at $1500.

Last edited:
   / Ressurected 580CK, sticky power steering, blowing out pump #5  
Power steering uses TCH hydraulic fluid. I have a 1968. Not sure what is going on with power steering, maybe overfilled? I can tell you from own experience that brining one of these machines back to life is time consuming, but not overly difficult. By the way, I also drove mine 5 miles home with the throttle stuck at about half rack. Did not think it was going to make it on a couple of hills.