Buying Advice IH 784 tractor rehab

/ IH 784 tractor rehab #1  

pochologuillen

Tractor
ih 784
Hello everyone!!! I needed a tractor for a 50 acre sugarcane farm but because of considerations decided to fully rehabilitate an old International Harvester 784 tractor. Except for the PTO, electricals and broken gauges the tractor works. I need to buy parts but it appears that there are three types of 784's but don't know for sure what mine is. I guess that it boils down to tractor identification. Luckily the identification plate of my tractor is intact. The plate reads

INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER CO. OF GREAT BRITAIN LTD.
LONDON
MODEL: 1-734
SERIAL NO. B530002B010116-X
MADE IN GREAT BRITAIN

Problem is I don't know how to interpret the serial number. I tried to search tractordata.com and other sites but it didn't help. Can anyone help me to interpret the serial number? I would appreciate any help very much. Thanks guys!!!

pocholo

/ IH 784 tractor rehab #2  
Should only be one IH 784, depending on where it was originally sold new.

If your gearshift levers are "inline" it's an early model, if they are "H pattern" it's a later model, known as 785 elsewhere, but still 784 in north america.

If it has front wheel drive, there were two different Axles, Kimco and ZF, Kimco had hubs that looked simlar to rear wheels, ZF had big planetary hubs.

/ IH 784 tractor rehab
Thanks a lot for the post. It is very informative. The gearshift is "inline (z pattern) not an H pattern and it is 2w drive. Would the model I have include a torque amplifier? Some sites talk of a lever on the left side of the dash but I can't find one.
Thanks again for the post.

/ IH 784 tractor rehab #4  
If the 784 has a TA there will be a lever that looks like the throttle lever on the left side of the steering wheel. There is (was?) a sticker on the dash showing what the lever was for, now someone could have removed the lever, but seems to me the 784 came with or without the T/A

/ IH 784 tractor rehab
I guess you are right. There is a strong possibility that my unit came without the T/A because not only is there no sticker, there is no lever as well. I downloaded a service manual and I hope I will find where the lever is supposed to be connected to and if there is no provision for a connection then I guess that will settle it.

Thank you so much for your knowhow. It really helped a lot.