1967 Case 580ck Forward Grinding and Will not stay in gear.

/ 1967 Case 580ck Forward Grinding and Will not stay in gear. #1  

Higherground

Tractor
Case 580ck
When putting the machine into forward it grinds and tends to kick out of gear and will not move. I attached a photo of the gears, It appears that the teeth are ground down and need replacing. Does anyone know what would be involved in accessing the gears to replace them? Will I have to split the tractor? Ugh, not having much luck with info on this.

Attachments

• forward.jpg
    forward.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 198
  • reverse.jpg
    reverse.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 275
   / 1967 Case 580ck Forward Grinding and Will not stay in gear. #2  
I realize the gears aren't the best of shape, but is that the exact problem..?? If it's the manaul reverser like on the 310B I had, the roll pin in the shifting fork was worn, and the hole in the shifting fork itself was worn, causing lot of slop. These being worn would not lock the gears fully in place. That pin is like an 1/8" pin, so they won't take a lot of punishment.

/ 1967 Case 580ck Forward Grinding and Will not stay in gear.
I realize the gears aren't the best of shape, but is that the exact problem..?? If it's the manaul reverser like on the 310B I had, the roll pin in the shifting fork was worn, and the hole in the shifting fork itself was worn, causing lot of slop. These being worn would not lock the gears fully in place. That pin is like an 1/8" pin, so they won't take a lot of punishment.

Their does not seem to be any play, The Forward/Reverse lever would actually kick into the middle position when in forward, The teeth are very worn. I am looking for the section 92 of the service manual, as my PDF seems not to have it. See picture.

Screen Shot 2014-08-30 at 8.36.49 AM.png

Thanks for the response,
Harold

/ 1967 Case 580ck Forward Grinding and Will not stay in gear. #4  
Maybe this will help... This is a link to specs & service manuals for a 530 I found quite by accident 5-6 years ago. Case 530CK - Tractor Specs Quite possibly the manual shuttle is the same animal on several models. Click on manuals in the left column, then mechanical shuttle 3rd item down, in top left box.

Hope this helps..!!